Home » Support » 3D Design » Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34417] Sat, 17 September 2011 04:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
I am having the strangest issue.

I have created a model and I priced it "solid"- with no extra areas left empty.

I started hollowing out my model to reduce the total material it would need to use to be created- updating my model as I went to see how much the cost was reduced.

Then the price started going back up even as I reduced the interior of the model further.

I am using a boolean subtraction. Is there a better way to do this or a proper way the Shapeways would recommend?

At present, my model hollowed out to what I would estimate as 40% less volume is coming out more expensive than when I price the original "solid" model.
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34429 is a reply to message #34417 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 08:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
With the pricing, you're seeing the volume discount that's applied to WSF - more information on the White Strong & Flexible materials page

Also, make sure you have a hole joining the hollow space to the outside world.
icon12.gif  Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34473 is a reply to message #34429 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ahh, I had no idea there was a "volume" discount. So, basically, at this point, it would make my model cheaper to add a useless cube to bring it back down to the lowest price point that I was able to reach! Laughing
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34474 is a reply to message #34473 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
yep... more about that here;
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2746 5&#msg_27465

Smile
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34475 is a reply to message #34417 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:34 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Wow. Well, I guess I'm about to start a collection of dice!

Previous Topic:Looking for Playmobil model
Next Topic:Lost Details in FUD

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.