Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34417] Sat, 17 September 2011 04:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
I am having the strangest issue.

I have created a model and I priced it "solid"- with no extra areas left empty.

I started hollowing out my model to reduce the total material it would need to use to be created- updating my model as I went to see how much the cost was reduced.

Then the price started going back up even as I reduced the interior of the model further.

I am using a boolean subtraction. Is there a better way to do this or a proper way the Shapeways would recommend?

At present, my model hollowed out to what I would estimate as 40% less volume is coming out more expensive than when I price the original "solid" model.
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34429 is a reply to message #34417 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 08:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
With the pricing, you're seeing the volume discount that's applied to WSF - more information on the White Strong & Flexible materials page

Also, make sure you have a hole joining the hollow space to the outside world.
icon12.gif  Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34473 is a reply to message #34429 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ahh, I had no idea there was a "volume" discount. So, basically, at this point, it would make my model cheaper to add a useless cube to bring it back down to the lowest price point that I was able to reach! Laughing
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34474 is a reply to message #34473 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
yep... more about that here;
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2746 5&#msg_27465

Smile
Re: Problems with "Hollowing Out" a model to save money [message #34475 is a reply to message #34417 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 16:34 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Wow. Well, I guess I'm about to start a collection of dice!

Previous Topic:Looking for Playmobil model
Next Topic:Lost Details in FUD