Home »  » Bug Reporting » new model page
Search Search  
 () 3 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: new model page [message #34964 is a reply to message #34959 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 12:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
aegidian wrote on Fri, 23 September 2011 11:37

NOW STOP ARBITRARILY TRUNCATING THE DESCRIPTION ON MY MODELS' PAGES!

It sucks. Just stop it.

I agree totally. Just do a search for substr( and remove it. There is no need for it and removal should be a 1 line fix.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: new model page [message #35011 is a reply to message #34947 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 18:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
@stop4stuff - Your cube downloaded fine, thanks for the test!

I am thrilled to report my models are now downloading. When the files were corrupt they were coming through as straight .stl files and now they are all zipped. Unzipping them, they upload perfectly. I guess they were experimenting with zipped vs unzipped?

I'm a happy camper now!!! Very Happy
Re: new model page [message #35015 is a reply to message #35011 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 19:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Yep, SW coders stuck the file in a zip as the code that spits out the download file chucks in an extra 'newline' character at the beginning of the file, it still does it with the zip file (as noted by Bill) but for most the workaround has fixed the corrrupt download issue.

Re: new model page [message #35019 is a reply to message #34326 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 22:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Page loads are way faster, overall response of the site seems to have improved greatly. (cloudfront/cdn?)

I have noticed several small layout improvements

Seems things are running smoother everyday Smile

stop4stuff: Thanks for keeping track!

I did notice the permalink sometimes breaks, on different models I got:
http://shpws.me/3kG0
Which gives a 404

Goodnight all.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: new model page [message #35023 is a reply to message #35019 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 22:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jlevine  is currently offline jlevine
Go to my shop
I work here
Re: cloudfront/cdn - no - just optimizing database indexes, queries, code, etc.

We are working hard on making Shapeways really awesome for everyone so thanks for the positive feedback. It really means a lot.

- Josh

VP of Engineering | Shapeways
Re: new model page [message #35024 is a reply to message #34959 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 23:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shop sections. Thank you!

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: new model page [message #35025 is a reply to message #35024 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 23:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
But now my widget at http://bathsheba.com is busted. Sad

Please bring back my widget?

I liked it.

Oh no! All widgets everywhere are busted. This is very sad:
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/830-Promoting-Your-Sh op-With-The-Shapeways-Widget.html

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2011 23:12 UTC]

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35026 is a reply to message #35025 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 23:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jlevine  is currently offline jlevine
Go to my shop
I work here
Fixed.

VP of Engineering | Shapeways
Re: new model page [message #35090 is a reply to message #34637 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 03:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar unellenu  is currently offline unellenu
Go to my shop
Thanks so much to the smart Shapeways techies for 'un-cropping' all my models super happy Very Happy
...apologies if this is a delayed response to your hard work I've been super busy the past few days.

unellenu.com

twitter: unellenu

unellenu.com
Re: new model page [message #35098 is a reply to message #34326 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 10:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Why do two entirely different pricing structures appear together on the model page when I log in, with and without sales tax? It is completely confusing. Why not just show one price, and make it plain and simple for people? The website knows what country I am in, why doesn't it show me the relevant price?

The only thing I like about the new model page layout is the much more user friendly way of organising and displaying images.

I HATE everything else.

WHY can't the Shapeways model pages be kept as simple as possible? A minimum of superfluous detail, or at least an option to hide those parts of the page that aren't wanted?

E.g.

I don't want any reference to anything except PWSF. All other materials are superfluous to me, I don't want any reference to them for my models

I don't want Tweet, or Facebook, or any of those other untidy and unnecessary icons.

I don't want 'Other items you might like.'

I don't want keywords.

ALL I want are my images, my description in FULL, UNtruncated (Why is it truncated? What good is that to anyone?) and the price in Euro, ONE price, with a link to checkout, and a link to my main shop page. Can I not have the option to eliminate everything else on my own pages?

And when can we tie our pricing to Euro, so that I can advertise a Euro price here to my customers, and not have to go in every day to make sure the currency hasn't changed, and altered my price while I wasn't looking?
Re: new model page [message #35100 is a reply to message #35098 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 10:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
PS...

I have one model publicly for sale at the moment... When I log out, it appears with NO price and NO link to checkout. How is anyone supposed to purchase it?

This is all very strange and unintelligible... Maybe I am missing something. Unfortunately, I doubt my customers would have the patience for this...

*EDIT* Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Shapeways seems to be grinding to a halt this morning? It takes forever even to open a single page, even though my connection is fine, and every other website is flying in as normal...

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2011 10:44 UTC]

Re: new model page [message #35102 is a reply to message #35100 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 10:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Bunrattypark,

I just had a look at your shop, all of your models are marke as 'not for sale' The only reasons I can suggest that your 'for sale' model is marked 'not for sale' is that you may have used the Product Inventory Manager and inadvertantly removed all materials, or that the check box 'Display to the public' on the upper right of the model edit page is not cheked.

Can you provide a link to the model in question, I'll take a look.

Paul
Re: new model page [message #35105 is a reply to message #35102 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 11:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Many thanks for your reply Paul.

I have spent all morning trying to figure out the new Shapeways website.

All my prices were wrong, due to a currency fluctuation, so I spent ages recalculating all my markups for a standard Euro price. I saved that, only to find that any model I opened for sale, did not appear for sale when I logged out. When I logged back in, I found all my prices were wrong again.

Finally now, after three hours messing on the site, I have one model for sale, although the price is wrong again. Each time I click a link on Shapeways, I have to sit for ages waiting for the page to load.

I know it's early days with this new layout, and that work progresses, but I just want to log the complaint with the team that I find the whole thing very user unfriendly, unresponsive, and time wasting. I cannot understand setting all my prices and preferences, only to log out and back in, and find it all back to where I started. It's maddening. Probably something I am doing wrong, but then that's a sign that things aren't clear and simple enough.

I am figuring it all out slowly. In the meantime, can I make two requests to Shapeways please, that the model description be displayed in full on model pages, and not in the arbitrarily truncated form, which to me serves no purpose to anyone, and also to able able to tag to the Euro, so that I don't have price fluctuations due to currency exchange variations. Dollars are no use to me.
Re: new model page [message #35141 is a reply to message #34326 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for uncropping the photos.

Please stop truncating descriptions, or at least don't truncate them nearly so short! No reason for this, and it's just bad.

If you need more room, how about removing the "You might also like"? This presents unrelated, sometimes embarrassing models, and makes it look like I've selected them. This makes bunny cry.

Overall I'm OK with the new interface now. I agree it looks spiffier, and it mostly works. But wow, that was a messy launch! I hope future upgrades will get much more QA before release.

Thanks!

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35149 is a reply to message #35141 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very much off topic... Bathsheba, earlier I searched for '3d printed art' on google... you're #1 Smile

Re: new model page [message #35151 is a reply to message #35149 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It's like being famous only much, much smaller.

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35156 is a reply to message #35151 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Bathsheba wrote on Mon, 26 September 2011 17:15

It's like being famous only much, much smaller.

So modest, as every aspiring 3D artist dreams of being Bathsheba Razz. I can't tell you how many of your items I've seen everywhere.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2011 17:21 UTC]

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: new model page [message #35230 is a reply to message #34326 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 08:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
On topic again.

Can Google Analytics come back please?

TIA,

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35232 is a reply to message #35230 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bathsheba wrote on Tue, 27 September 2011 08:21

Can Google Analytics come back please?

+1 ! Smile

Re: new model page [message #35233 is a reply to message #35232 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I htought I'd already put that on the list... but I must of missed it...

Google Analytics is now #49 Smile

Re: new model page [message #35264 is a reply to message #34326 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 17:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I've created a bookmarklet that unchecks all available materials from a model. Just to ease the pain from this update Laughing

To use it, simply go here and add the link shown to your bookmarks. Then go to a model page and while in edit mode, clicking the bookmark should unmark all materials (except for the default one).
Re: new model page [message #35298 is a reply to message #34326 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 04:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CadMonkey  is currently offline CadMonkey
Go to my shop
Thought I should add my voice to the chorus of discontent.

The new layout generally seems to make inventory management time consuming and laborious. And I only have a few models. I can't imagine the amount of time and frustration users with a lot of models are encountering. I understand there is a csv management tool coming soon and this may be the reason this is so cumbersome. But the old layout was fine. I don't understand the need to make it look like an i-phone app.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

Brad.
Re: new model page [message #35309 is a reply to message #35298 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 10:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
CadMonkey wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 04:39

If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

Brad.

Shapeways takes Red Greens Moto.

"If it aint broke, your not trying hard enough"

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: new model page [message #35321 is a reply to message #34326 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
Once more, with feeling.

Please stop truncating our model descriptions.

Oh, and that permalink that isn't a link, and needs to be clicked and then selected and then copied before I can copy and paste a permalink. That would work much better if it were presented as, you know, A LINK!
Re: new model page [message #35334 is a reply to message #35321 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 15:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Please, there is no need to add to the thread if there are no issues not already covered in the list on page one... find another issue, for sure go ahead and document it.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: new model page [message #35343 is a reply to message #35334 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Excuse my strong feelings on this. I should explain.

Shapeways have adjusted the amount of description before the tedious 'More Info' link, but are still arbitrarily truncating the description.

I want to make it clear that, in my opinion, this is not an acceptable 'fix' for this problem.

Re: new model page [message #35344 is a reply to message #35343 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, there's gotta be some limit.

How many lines do you want?

There are 4 now. I would like 12.

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35346 is a reply to message #35344 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would like as many lines as it takes, not some arbitary limit Smile

However the list is there and being dealt with (try jumping into the chatroom sometime & asking Wink), so, for now we need to be a little bit patient as what is going on is part of the future for all of us.

Re: new model page [message #35358 is a reply to message #35344 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 20:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bathsheba wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 16:57

Well, there's gotta be some limit.

How many lines do you want?

There are 4 now. I would like 12.

I don't care, as long as the page design doesn't chop my description off in the middl... [+]More Info

Look, I'm quite capable of deciding for myself how much description I want to present to a potential buyer - I don't need or want that second-guessed.
Re: new model page [message #35360 is a reply to message #35358 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Come on guys, play ball here.

If you ask for unlimited description text, the answer will be "No". Shapeways isn't going to let you put 100 pages of text there; if you want to write the Great American Novel, you can do that on your own site. This is, lest we forget, theirs, and it is reasonable that they need to standardize its layout to some extent.

Srsly, what would you settle for that is actually possible?

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35363 is a reply to message #35360 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bathsheba wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 20:57

Come on guys, play ball here.

If you ask for unlimited description text, the answer will be "No". Shapeways isn't going to let you put 100 pages of text there; if you want to write the Great American Novel, you can do that on your own site. This is, lest we forget, theirs, and it is reasonable that they need to standardize its layout to some extent.

Srsly, what would you settle for that is actually possible?

You're conflating two things:

1. The maximum size of the description - and whatever that was before was fine. Seriously, not a problem.

2. Arbitrarily truncating how much of the description is displayed. Seriously, a problem.

No-one (except you) is suggesting that anyone would choose to have pages and pages of description, that's not what the problem is.

Re: new model page [message #35364 is a reply to message #35363 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So you don't want it unlimited, you just want it put back to whatever limit there was before the update. Coo.

-Bathsheba
Re: new model page [message #35365 is a reply to message #35360 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
The design has to cope with the full text once the visitor clicks. So whatever is the max text saved, it will have to look OK anyway. Thus, get rid of the click and pick a nice size that isn't tiny.

On the other hand, some people is looking at code... could they figure a way so once the page loads, it becomes what the shop owner wanted, calling the functions to open things and such? Some have been inserting menus in their pages... so...
Re: new model page [message #35366 is a reply to message #34326 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
New item for the first post list:

The size of the item are something like "cm.| 5.0 w x 20.0 d x 9.4 h in.". Normally units go after the digits and have no dotted bars. Also using underline and blue makes a bit unclear which is the active one.
Re: new model page [message #35367 is a reply to message #34326 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
What is the "perfect" scale for custom images on the new model page ?

The images on the shop pages are 135px x 100px (that's a ratio of 0,74),
and the old images were 700px × 519px (at least that are the dimensions of the old, shapeways-made renders... still a ratio of 0,74)...

Currently, the old 700x519 px images are scaled down to 445px × 330px ... but "real" images in 445x330 are looking somehow stupid on the new model page.
And wider images would look stupid on the shop main pages, because they would be cropped in height...

Sad
Re: new model page [message #35369 is a reply to message #35366 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 21:36

New item for the first post list:

The size of the item are something like "cm.| 5.0 w x 20.0 d x 9.4 h in.". Normally units go after the digits and have no dotted bars. Also using underline and blue makes a bit unclear which is the active one.

Added.

Re: new model page [message #35388 is a reply to message #35369 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
First of all thanks to stop4stuff for doing this work!!!!!!!

o) I'm bot sure if I have missed it but the go to next and previous item has been eliminated.
To be honest I would like to see a much better navigation. I.e. o row with the last 5-10 elements and the next 5-10 elements.
Loading the side is so slow and navigating back to the overview and then to the next item I have to change is boring.

o) Do we really think that the "delete" button on the overview side does make sense. Deleting items is for me a seldom done task, no need to put it on the overview page

o) still struggling around with the new "update" philosophy. Soemetimes there's an update button, then the update is done automatically.
For me it's inconsistent

o) layout still doesn't rock me. Still a lot of scrolling around is necessary .

o) no ordering of materials. we had that point already in the previous version.
(ordering seems ok in the buyers view)

o) looking at the layout: why is there so much space wasted left and right. the width of the side is generally?
That may be ok with all the other pages with the model page it's a waste.

Woody64

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2011 11:44 UTC]

Re: new model page [message #35392 is a reply to message #34326 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have made separate thread about the latest general site update.
Seemed wise to spread the load a bit Smile

But if people prefer a merge, I will comply Wink

Re: new model page [message #35394 is a reply to message #34326 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 13:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
NEW BUG:

Editing descriptions:

If you click the text to edit the description, make a change and then click outside the edit box, the change is saved.

Surely this should only happen if the 'OK' button is pressed. It's very easy to make inadvertent changes.
Re: new model page [message #35395 is a reply to message #35394 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Reverting changes when the box looses focus is also not very usable behavior imho.

Pages (8): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »] 

Previous Topic:How to add my own price
Next Topic:huh... connect to www.nyc.shapeways.net

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.