White Strong and Flexible POLISHED

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 89598_deleted, Sep 12, 2011.

Strong and Flexible Polished Colors

1. That would be AWESOME!

2. I like the idea.

3. I wouldn't use it.

4. Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 89598_deleted
    89598_deleted Member
    I have ordered 3 or 4 models printed in White Strong and Flexible(and colors) and have been quite satisfied with the models. But today I received my first White, Strong and Flexible Polished model. And, well, I love it! :D It is so smooth! It feels nicer than the not-polished. Now I wish that I could order the black, red, indigo, or grey polished! By what I read about the polishing process, it seems that it could also be done to the colored Strong and Flexible. I hope that this will be an option soon!
    Who else is waiting to be able to order a polished color model?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I suggested to Nancy, she said at the moment it's not possible, but in the near future it may be. And she'll look into it.

3. 89598_deleted
    89598_deleted Member
    Awesome! I hope this comes soon!

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    But this post doesn't have anything about the items your received. So I'm moving it to general. Put up some pics of your items! we'd like to see what impressed you.

5. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    Black Polished SF would be really popular with the puzzle community (if it remains affordable).

When dying a sanded piece black, it doesn't absorb the dye as well and turns grey instead. I am afraid the polished material would have the same problems. I hope you can figure something out and I'm doing a test of my own soon.

6. 89598_deleted
    89598_deleted Member
    I thought that the colored ones were printed in that color, therefore making me think that polishing them would work because they'd be that color completely through the model. They must be white ones just dyed? Now I see why it wouldn't work to polish them.

7. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    I agree that dyeing sanded pieces produces uneven coloring. But I've dyed polished WSF with no problems. I haven't tried black, but check out some photos under this thread:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2923 6&&srch=Exploding#msg_29236

Ironically, I'm not that interested in dyed polished WSF because it is easier and cheaper to do it myself. The delays on the polished material are bad enough!

8. 89598_deleted
    89598_deleted Member
    I like your dyed WSF colors! What kind of dye do you use?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    It's just RIT fabric dye ...

10. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    I can confirm that you can dye WSFP black just fine. I do it everyday.

But I agree with gibell, we do our own dying because it's very cheap....

11. 89598_deleted
    89598_deleted Member
    Nice! I hadn't realized that all shapeways did was dye the colored models we order. I thought it was somehow printed in that color. So, I have already ordered one color of RIT dye and will be trying it out!
    Thanks guys!

12. Asphalt
    Asphalt Member
    It seems to me that it would be problematic for two reasons.
    1. If it was dyed BEFORE polishing the polishing compound would be contaminated. This would mean it would need to be replaced more often raising the costs.

2. If it were dyed AFTER polishing this would add additional processing steps and increase delivery time. t would also probably add to cost due to the additional steps. The smoother, less absorbent surface would also cause problems achieving and even absorption and coloration.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011