High detail level jewelry possible for shapeways. JWX-30

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by 17955_deleted, Sep 8, 2011.

1. 17955_deleted
    17955_deleted Member
    Shapeways offers the world with basically the only cheap way to have things 3d printed without knowing someone personally who has a machine. Our imagination has then gone wild leading many many people to create jewelry. I would imagine that their jewelry customers provide a large percentage of their income.

Here is my suggestion... (I don't know if it has come up before).

Why doesn't shape ways purchase a Roland JWX-30 jewelry model maker? This thing produces small wax models with insane detail up to dimensions of 305(W) x 205(D) x 100(H) mm, (varies with fixture).

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/milling/jwx30/

And it only costs $18,000. WHICH IS SO CHEAP compared to many 3d printers!

They already do casting! This wouldn't even change their workflow too greatly...

2. 17955_deleted
    17955_deleted Member
  3. duann
    duann Member
    Hey there,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at the process there are a few issues that may not currently make it suitable for Shapeways:

It is designed specifically for rings so people would be limited in what they could do.
    It looks as if it can only do one item at a time which does not scale very well for the volume we handle,
    it is a subtractive process which is not as material efficient as an additive processes,
    I also doubt that the detail would be significantly greater than our current wax/silver process.

Has anybody had any experience with this machine?

Thanks

4. 17955_deleted
    17955_deleted Member
    Does shape ways have any images of wax models printed for casting? I'm interested in the detail level they currently have. The specs on wall thickness etc don't really explain the maximum detail possible to me.

Aren't subtractive modelers usually way more detail capable for much less money though? Has shape ways ever considered a subtractive machine in general for the sterling silver wax process?