Home » Support » 3D Design » Scaling Design with AccuTrans
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scaling Design with AccuTrans [message #33818] Mon, 05 September 2011 22:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar drummercove  is currently offline drummercove
Go to all my models
I tried scaling my design using the "converting with AccuTrans 3D" notes but haven't had any luck.
I am using the free version of AccuTrans could this be
the problem?
Re: Scaling Design with AccuTrans [message #33832 is a reply to message #33818 ] Tue, 06 September 2011 09:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi drummercove,

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

Scaling in Accutrans3D can be a bit daunting, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite straightforward. I recommend saving the output file from Accutrans3D as an STL. On upload to Shapeways, you will have the option of selecting Meters, Inches or MM as the units of measurement.

Firstly you need to identify the native units of your 3D moelling software (Meters, Feet, Inches, CM or MM) - if the units are just units, the process may be a bit easier.

Once you've merged all shells/grouped objects, aligned normals, checked for holes in the mesh and are ready to save, head to 'Save With Options'.

Clicking on 'Use Units' (highlighted in red in the image) brings up the 'Scale Factor of Measurement' dialogue, and the fun begins Smile

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/images/acctrnSF-01.jpg

Select the units your modelling software uses in Import Units, then select the units you'd like to export in. You will see the scaled size change accordingly.

If your modelling software has no units of measurement, make both the 'Import Units' and 'Export Units' the same and use the 'Scale Factor 2' method below to adjust the output scale.

If the scaled size is not right, grab yourself a calculator. In my image above, the Y dimension is 63.115... but I need it to be 60 (and the rest of the dimensions should be proportional to the Y) so I divide 60 by 63.115 and get 0.9506456 which I enter into the box marked 'Scale Factor 2'.

Click 'Update SF' (highlighted green), then click 'OK'.

Lastly click 'Save' and job done!

Hope this sheds some light for you!
Paul

[Updated on: Tue, 06 September 2011 09:21 UTC]

Previous Topic:Ring help
Next Topic:Looking for Playmobil model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.