Home » Community » Introductions » Hello and some advice needed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello and some advice needed [message #33778] Sun, 04 September 2011 21:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar BorisKarloff  is currently offline BorisKarloff
Go to all my models
Hello
I am new to shapeways and computer modelling. So I was wondering what software would people recommend that is free. Have browsed through the forums and Blender seems to be quite popular as a free one.
I am planning to have a go at making vehicles and star ships if that has a bearing on what software I should use.

Thanks

BK
Re: Hello and some advice needed [message #33968 is a reply to message #33778 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome, Boris!

I'd recommend Google SketchUp in this situation. It's not the most refined, or the most flexible software, but it's free and is one of the most accessible to beginners. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Hello and some advice needed [message #34003 is a reply to message #33778 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 13:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I've also see lots of praise for Autodesk 123D. And if you want to go advanced, there is Blender, Sculptris, and many others.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hello and some advice needed [message #34092 is a reply to message #34003 ] Sat, 10 September 2011 10:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BorisKarloff  is currently offline BorisKarloff
Go to all my models
Thanks for all the suggestions I have currently downloaded blender and am working my way through that using their on-line guide.

Have made a list of the other suggestions and will work my way through the others. If I dont get to grips with blender.

Previous Topic:Hello All!
Next Topic:Hello

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.