Custom Ruler

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by randomblink, Sep 2, 2011.

1. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    Alrighty then... I have created a Ruler. I use a paper version of this ruler at my job and it would be A LOT easier if I had a regular ruler-esque to use. (the cool factor of creating it was worth it too!)

However, I'm getting a $21+ for this ruler?!

What can I do to chop down the price?! I could care less if anyone steals this design, so I am uploading the fixed STL from netflabb or whatever... If anyone can give me some tips on bringing the price down I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thank you kindly!

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well looking at your item in your shop, you'd be able to use more materials if you rotated your design so your rule was sitting like 45 degrees.

I love the irony of you statement. You were using a paper one, and thought "why don't I just print one?" didn't you print the paper one? lol

3. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I'm just itching for an excuse to TRY OUT 3D Printing... I've been in love with it since I discovered it here at Shapeways, but I either can't afford it or can't think of something to make... I finally did both. I'll buy it for $21, but I feel like it's just too damn high?!

4. aae83
    aae83 Member
    I'm a noob, but you might want to review/run some of the diagnostics from the tutorial page to make sure there aren't issues with your model and mesh(es).

Looking at the dimensions from the product page, the bounding box for your ruler is 33.7 x 3.8 x 0.3 (cm). That makes the bounding box volume 38.4 cm^3, which would cost about $59 in solid WSF. Your model doesn't fill the box, but that gives you a rough idea of what to expect.

I downloaded your file and opened it with both Rhino 3D and netfabb, and it looks like there may be problems with inwardly pointed surface normals. For example, Rhino computed a negative volume for the basic ruler bar. When I flipped the normals and checked the volume, it came out to be 11.8 cm^3. That part alone would cost $19 in WSF, so $21 may be about right.

There are 729 separate meshes in your file (which seemed like a lot to me): each bit of text has its own mesh. Many of those were also showing inverted normals.

The bottom line is it looks to me like there may be some mesh issues with your file but, if the bounding box dimensions are what you expected, the $21 price is probably right.

Hope that helps,
    John

P.S. An idea for cutting down on the price: put "lightening" holes down the middle of the main ruler bar, i.e., between the values of your running feet scale (e.g., 100', 200', ...). Hopefully, you see what I mean...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I'm still newb enough to not grasp meshes fully still. I created this in Google Skethup, edited it with netfabb/meshlab to make the STL. I'll try out the lightening holes. Great idea...

6. abby
    abby Member
    You might also consider the accuracy of your ruler , a model that I had made recently was 0.009" short on a distance of 1.313".
    SW initially claim that this is within normal tolerance but it would make such an item as a ruler practically useless for measurement.

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Maybe he should try laser cutting & engraving, it'll be flat, but a lot more precise.