Printing a Wax model

Discussion in 'Materials' started by olivierduhamel, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I read "The products are created using the lost-wax casting process using a high-resolution 3D Wax print of your design." on https://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver.

Could shapeways offer wax objects only? (without going to the silver stage) I'd like to get a wax model of my designs.

Many thanks

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not offer the wax only model!
    The reason for this is that the wax models we currently print are to fragile and brittle to ship.

The chances are high that your model will break during transit.

But do know that we are still looking into this for in the future.

3. I'm looking for 3d wax printing service.
    I saw this thread and was wondering if your offering this yet?

S

4. 18544_deleted
    18544_deleted Member

Are the wax models for casting produced with a support matrix of a different wax e.g. Stratasys plusCAST and Indurafill?

Could wax models for sale be shipped with the support wax in place? The buyer would be responsible for melting out or otherwise removing the support material.

It would be beneficial to choose the materials with the highest melting temperatures (for shipping) and the greatest difference between the melting temperatures (for ease of removal :)

5. As I have perfect metal cast machinery ( lab from a dentist, and a shop from a goldsmith) I would really like to get wax models as well.

Nevertheless, is there any other material, which incinerates at temperatures up to 1,000°C and leaves no residue after ashing?

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I had a friend with just such a set of equipment. He took a model I had printed in the "White Detail" material, and it turned out extremely well.

7. I would also be interested in getting a wax printing. I am a jewelry designer, and getting pieces done in wax would allow for better controli.e clean up the pieces better, make multiple parts to join for easier polishing, etc.. Id also love finer details in wax too. I know you mentioned it awhile back, but is it something you're still looking into?

Surely there is a way to package and send the fragile wax in a way that it would not break?