Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » New shop site design bugs
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New shop site design bugs [message #33402] Fri, 26 August 2011 22:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=10767&private=0

Frustratingly wrong 'available to others at cost' information.

Worryingly, if you click the 'at cost' option and then click the 'in My Shop for profit' option, that will set all your markup to zero!

The description text editing area is too small for most of my descriptions, and overflows the options below it when being edited.

FYI this is for my model: http://shpws.me/2Htd

PS. In short, yuk! Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2011 22:31 UTC]

Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33404 is a reply to message #33402 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 22:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stefan_z  is currently offline stefan_z
Go to my shop
OK let's make this thread the official "what's wrong with my shapeways?" thread Smile (or where is that thread?)...

- Where can I delete items?
- Why can't I chose wether to show/sell the item during upload anymore?
- 3D view still not working on OSX (it did till Java was updated)

EDIT:
- no way to save changes to the items. seriously?
Item was viewable by public, but could not be sold. 2nd change worked.
My comments were not saved either. Clicking OK just deletes the text!
Workaround for sloppy JS-bug: Enter Text and then switch to OK-button with TAB and hit SPACE instantly to save. Waiting for 1 sek. will revert to old/empty comment. Maybe learn using jQuery Wink
- Applying only one material as option leads to an empty material selector in the shop.
- uploading pics does nothing

I hope this is still work in progress Shocked
And how about a beta server next time? Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2011 23:33 UTC]

Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33405 is a reply to message #33402 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 23:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
It is a little weird that this launched on Friday afternoon. Traffic slows during the weekend anyway, but obviously this means things are not going to change until next week.

I am frustrated about the "could not scale image" error message blocking all the photos on every item.

I noticed the "available at cost" message only pops up when I'm logged in, so it does not mean people can buy your item at cost.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33407 is a reply to message #33405 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 23:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah not cool.

Instead of buying a cool new server, setting that up and transfering testers over there they just mess up a (mostly) working system.

Not a way I would have chosen...
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33408 is a reply to message #33402 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 00:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Shop sections are missing from the design editor.

I appreciate that the new interface would be pretty snappy if it were complete and worked, but this is a very messy launch. Why no warning or testing?

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33409 is a reply to message #33408 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 00:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Click on the EDIT on the top right for editing Wink
But good luck saving the correct setting .-)
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33410 is a reply to message #33407 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 00:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
Wow.. super buggy!!

This major of a redesign needed to be put into a beta mode for sure.

The material information is correct but all my models are only showing a few types of materials available. The default material isn't even showing up as an option to order!

Hopefully this gets fixed soon or they need to revert back asap! I feel shapeways really dropped the ball hard on this one.
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33411 is a reply to message #33410 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
I can't manage to order my models in any Strong & Flexible other than Grey

it's driving me crazy!

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33412 is a reply to message #33402 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 00:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Maybe someone thought they were testing this interface on a beta server and it only accidentally went live in an unfinished state (that's what I'm hoping.)

On the plus side, being able to enter a final price point for a material is useful, although it'd be even more useful if sales tax/VAT could be incorporated.

Another bug is the shortened material names (so WSF and WSFP are confused) and lack of links to the material info.

Another bug is the lack of a 'please wait' interstitial when uploading a new version of a model,

Another is that the materials listed for editing don't match up with those available on the markup page (in my model's case White Detail and Black Detail went AWOL.)

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2011 00:58 UTC]

Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33413 is a reply to message #33412 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 01:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar azurescorch  is currently offline azurescorch
Go to all my models
White Strong Flexible isn't available at all.

Shouldn't of tried to fix something that wasn't broken to be frank.
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33416 is a reply to message #33413 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 02:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It's SERIOUSLY broken for me.. No model previews will display at all, no material options, every model says "available without markup".. general mess.

FYI.. I'm runing MSIE9 on Win7.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33420 is a reply to message #33416 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 02:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I logged out to see what customers get, and the major problem from this side is images being broken. Other than that it seemed to work; I could see all the materials and put them in my cart.

But no customer's going to order anything without being able to see it. I'm losing money.

I was in the middle of pushing more items to Shapeways, but now I think I'd better do something else. This isn't going well at all.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2011 02:56 UTC]

-Bathsheba
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33421 is a reply to message #33420 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 03:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jlevine  is currently offline jlevine
Go to my shop
I work here
Eeeek!!

Worst release ever! So sorry for all the bugs and confusion.

To make it better right away we've brought back the previous version of Shapeways so you can continue without the nasty bugs.

We are working on ironing out the tech issues as well as the usability and we hope to have the great new features live as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for bearing with us Embarassed

Best,
Josh

VP of Engineering | Shapeways
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33422 is a reply to message #33421 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 03:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it for reals.

-Bathsheba
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33423 is a reply to message #33422 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 07:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the revert!

As suggested above, how about putting out a 'try the New Shapeways' option (in the same way Google tests out their new interfaces), next time.

That way we can report any serious problems with the design before it goes live.
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33425 is a reply to message #33402 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 08:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
thread cross-referenced here

Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33428 is a reply to message #33402 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Despite a few bugs in the new interface, I really like it!

The trouble I found so far:
(some already mentioned by others)

- the "at cost" was too easily accessible, once clicked all markups erased.
- no obvious save button?
- too cramped of a space for this new material markup entry.

- hard to click the amount and edit them "inline", I prefer a number to be selected once clicked or double clicked, so I can type the right amoung, instead of worrying where the cursor is. (current double click only selects partial)

- despite changing things, up top, it kept saying: This model is private and available for sale without markup to others.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2011 09:24 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33436 is a reply to message #33428 ] Sat, 27 August 2011 14:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
I think the new design ought to include a more obvious 3-d view button. Newbies to this site probably don't even realize they can view the renderings in 3d. That really need to be highlighted I think.
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33458 is a reply to message #33436 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 03:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
And that, ladies and gentlemen, was Josh Levine, our new VP of Engineering.

As you may have guessed, him and some of our devs found themselves deep into a pretty late night at the office on Friday while hustling to get this release out the door. From what I understand, the results we're, um, pretty messy. Oops. Sorry for the unsettling change.

The good thing is that this served as a very effective learning experience for knowing how we should make releases in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing this page re-released, with many fewer hiccups. Thanks for your patience!

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33461 is a reply to message #33458 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 07:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Then can I make one further criticism of the new page design for Josh - the 'folded corner' indicator of the default material choice.

This was a a classic 'mystery meat' example of bad website design, a user had no idea of how to set the default material unless they chose to hover the mouse in the appropriate area of the screen.

For the final design, a more obviously labelled or obviously clickable design element (like, I dunno, a radio button?!!) would be a much better choice.
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33462 is a reply to message #33458 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 08:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
ana wrote on Sun, 28 August 2011 03:30

As you may have guessed, him and some of our devs found themselves deep into a pretty late night at the office on Friday while hustling to get this release out the door.

Never understood why that is done on a friday:
- developer are out for weekend
- also community officers
- business is driven by privates having their main spare time on ?

Why not simple release it on Monday morning?

Woody64

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2011 08:31 UTC]

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: New shop site design bugs [message #33463 is a reply to message #33462 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 10:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
+1
"Never do anything on Friday": this is a very well known best practice in development.

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:requesting a customer contact form
Next Topic:"Pay what you want" markup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.