Best material for an m4 thread

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 76519_deleted, Aug 26, 2011.

1. 76519_deleted
    76519_deleted Member
    Hello,

Does anyone know what's a good material to print in that'll make an m4 thread nicely? Will Alumide do?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Kreuzritter
    Kreuzritter Member
    Hey there I´m also interested in creating 3D-printed threads (M6) - maybe it would be great to publish a study about this topic.

Does everyone know what is the "min-Size" of printed threads ? M3, M2 ?

Are there design changes on the ISO-standart necessary ? I guess it´s a little bit complicated because the tolerance of printed output.

The only thread I can find is a M20-nut in here ^^

3. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Personally I wouldn't use Alumide or any other flexible material for something to (presumably) take a M6 bolt, to attach something to the model. Alumide and WSF's 'grittiness' would mean too much friction between the thread of the bolt and the model and make it difficult to turn.

A better approach might be to leave a void shaped to take an M6 nut and epoxy the nut to the model after printing.

4. Kreuzritter
    Kreuzritter Member
    Ok, i thought some about it and I guess it´s easier to don´t predesign the thread and cut it after the print - much more accurate than to print it ^^

(good) thread cutter are not very cheap but they have a long& usefull live :)

5. 76519_deleted
    76519_deleted Member
    Sweet, thanks for the replies.

So how do I specify an increased thickness around the hole i make.. so that I can thread it, without cutting into an empty lattice? (if that made any sense..)

@aegidian fantastic idea with the nut thank you!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011