Home » Support » 3D Design » Best way to make raised text with sloped sides?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best way to make raised text with sloped sides? [message #33264] Wed, 24 August 2011 21:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Hibryd  is currently offline Hibryd
Go to all my models
I'm trying to make some "embossed" looking text on a flat surface. I know the Image Popper will do that automatically, but I don't want to have the sides be straight up-and-down.

So, do you think it would be easier to 1) Make an image-popped model, download it, and take it into Blender to flare out the base of the text, or should I 2) do the whole thing in Blender and forget the Image Popper?

Thank you!
Re: Best way to make raised text with sloped sides? [message #38189 is a reply to message #33264 ] Tue, 08 November 2011 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
I don't know if Blender has the same functionality, but 3ds max has a text feature that lets you type out whatever you want, in any font and size, and it will convert it to a spline for you. From there you can use the extrude modifier to fill in the polygons and then bevel (under edit poly for 3ds max) to get beveled extrusions. I'm sure there is a similar workflow in Blender but I've never used it before...

Check out my new shop Illogical!
Re: Best way to make raised text with sloped sides? [message #38217 is a reply to message #38189 ] Wed, 09 November 2011 04:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Hibryd  is currently offline Hibryd
Go to all my models
Blender does have an extrude function, with beveling built in, but it bevels the wrong way! Instead of shaving off the top, it expands the sides out.

I couldn't find any way to do what I wanted to in Blender.
Re: Best way to make raised text with sloped sides? [message #38218 is a reply to message #38217 ] Wed, 09 November 2011 04:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
Does it have an inset function? (Basically a function that bevels inward without extruding, i explain because it might not be called "inset" in bevel) with that you could inset and then just move the inner polygons upward to create the bevel.

Check out my new shop Illogical!

Previous Topic:Text counters filled in
Next Topic:Download free textures and 3d models

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.