Home » Support » 3D Design » sizing issue , with flyaway parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  sizing issue , with flyaway parts [message #32967] Fri, 19 August 2011 17:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar Catwell  is currently offline Catwell
Go to my shop
Hey I am new here and I'm genuinely exited for the possibilities of this site, especially as I've been cg modelling since the 90's.

However i spent a good 10 plus upload tries yesterday trying to get the model to upload right. The model will upload and it doesn't have the usual issues like manifold or normals the wrong way round or leaking.

My problem is that the model is way too large , larger than the size i built it. and however hard i try to shrink it down and upload it again the model remains the same size...? Parts of the model are also in a different place expanding the bounding box out and causing materials to be unavailable even though i originally built it in a 10x10 cm grid. I've even cut the model bits into two files , but I'm still getting size issues. after hours of trying I think its time I asked you guys
thanks

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bigbad 3dprinted wargame models
Re: sizing issue , with flyaway parts [message #32989 is a reply to message #32967 ] Sat, 20 August 2011 00:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Catwell,

Welcome to Shapeways Smile

A few handy tools are;
Accutrans3D - numerous filetype import/export as well as model scaling on export.
NetFabb Basic - great for error checking/repair, as well as having a very useful set of measuring tools (can rescale models too)
MeshLab - has a host of features including mesh cleaning filters.

wrt your sizing issues, could it be something as simple as inches & mm getting mixed up?

Paul
Re: sizing issue , with flyaway parts [message #32992 is a reply to message #32967 ] Sat, 20 August 2011 03:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Catwell  is currently offline Catwell
Go to my shop
O.k ... its 4 am but i finally found the issue, my model was grouped into bits for ease of manipulation etc. because it was grouped any scale changes weren't being recognized somewhere down the line of exporting. Ergo why it kept staying at the same size. Now everything's un-grouped, the scale is correct and i know that that scale measure in the 3d window is true, giving me confidence for future makes.
Still not sure what caused the flyaway piece and i did notice in the second half of the model in earlier failed scale uploads, that some bits were missing. So I'll give the mesh a good close look in the 3d view to make sure its all there.

Thanks for the links btw;
I tried netfabb, but it doesn't open collada files, mesh lab was quite nice though. I'll continue with this tomorrow.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bigbad 3dprinted wargame models
Re: sizing issue , with flyaway parts [message #33070 is a reply to message #32967 ] Mon, 22 August 2011 13:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Scout_II@hotmail.com  is currently offline Scout_II@hotmail.com
Go to my shop
One thing that you have to remember is that a lot of file formats for 3D programs maintain a lot more information than what Shapeways can actually read...and sometimes it isn't really apparent what that information is when you are working in the 3D program because it reads it and interprets it within the program.

For example, when I am working in Max - various transformations will render properly in Max...but if I were to export the model...it would be all messed up. I have to collapse the mesh so that all the nifty tools that I used create a generic mesh that any program can read and interpret properly. You may be coming across a similar problem.

Previous Topic:Why are my meshes not smooth?
Next Topic:Wall thickness

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.