Home » Community » General Discussion » Wiki for FAQs, tutorials, guides, finishing tips, what-have-you
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wiki for FAQs, tutorials, guides, finishing tips, what-have-you [message #32685] Sun, 14 August 2011 21:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
3d Print Wiki at https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/

No, it's not a new idea:
artfulshrapnel wrote on Mon, 23 May 2011 17:08

This gave me an idea. Something simple and low-maintenance that could really help improve the community. Perhaps there should be a "user experience" page for each material. Something like a Wiki editable by any user on the site, where we can leave notes for each other about processes that do and do not work, problems we've had and how we fixed them, etc. 

Any thoughts on this from the powers that be?

No, no, not at all new:
goncalopp wrote on Sat, 31 January 2009 23:22

Right now, there's a lot of useful info on this forum - details about the materials, painting and sanding models; however, it's kinda hard to know what has or has not been discussed before - sure, you can search the threads, but it's a pain, really. 

Wouldn't a wiki be a better way of managing this kind of information? The forum would be used for support and discussion, and the wiki would hold... well, the universally 'useful info' :d 

Maybe it'd be a good idea to put the tutorials there too, and let people create new ones?

Just thoughts  :)

Oooh, and someone tried it already:
Whystler wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 05:36

Hey all,

For fun, I started a wiki to deal with managing all the info we are getting here and elsewhere about post processing 3d prints.  It's sort of a test to see what you think.

Is this something you would want to help add to?  Is the info useful to you in this structure?

http://www.3dprintcraft.wikispot.org/

-Whystler

Ok, here it comes again, second try:

• Don't you think that it gets increasingly more difficult to find the relevant forum posts back?
  • Don't you think that there is a lot of important info buried deep in the ever-growing forum noise?
  • Don't you think that the same FAQs are posted over and over again?

Well, I do ...

... and have just created a litte FAQ Wiki (on Google sites) and added some initial structure and content. It's actually quite easy to use with WYSIWYG and everything. If you ever did a Word document, you can do it. Lots of other options to beef it up with gadgets and scripts and more ....

Given that it's meant to be a wiki, I would herewith like to invite interested parties to join as a contributor. There is no automatic registration at this time, just drop me a PM with your email address and I'll set you up.

The site uses Google's login for authentication, I would therefore need your email address (not necessarily a Gmail, I believe) to hook you up.

The URL https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/ is still a bit long, but we have the option to change it if we can find some co-editors and fill it with content.

And last not least, a question to the Shapeways rep's and lawyers: What are the licensing terms and conditions for copying / transferring / referencing "your" site content, including the forum posts?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2011 07:45 UTC]

Re: Wiki for FAQs, tutorials, guides, finishing tips, what-have-you [message #32696 is a reply to message #32685 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 06:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Similar thought:
virtox wrote on Sun, 04 April 2010 08:15

As a lot of questions get re-asked in the forum, how about some well formatted and clear sticky topics ? With all the handy but hard to find info, tools and links

Some of us have been around for a while and know of all the issues and previous threads.
And some people are better with "searches" than others. But if you don't know the exact words to look for, you are not going to get very far.
Even if you know the words, searching can be a @#$.

For now, using google for the search can be helpful but is a bit of a a hack : http://www.google.nl/search?q=+site:shapeways.com+<SEARCH_WORDS_HERE>

But the point is, there is a lot a shared knowledge which is difficult to find. So my suggestion is that "we who know" gather up some faq's and add it to the sticky topics, with either the answer or links to the related threads.

Repeat questions should probably be answered with a friendly but helpful message referring to the right sticky topic.

So yes! If time permits, I'd be happy to contribute Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Wiki for FAQs, tutorials, guides, finishing tips, what-have-you [message #32699 is a reply to message #32696 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 07:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Thanks for getting a heavy-weight on board.

Don't forget to mention your email address, please.
Re: Wiki for FAQs, tutorials, guides, finishing tips, what-have-you [message #33934 is a reply to message #32685 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 11:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If anyone has some more info to add to this wiki, please sign up or point me to it, and I will try to add it Smile

https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Solar powered 3D printer
Next Topic:free 3d models for Rhino3d

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.