|Experiences with painting "Frosted Detail" materials [message #32645] Sun, 14 August 2011 06:17 UTC
Here is a quick experiment I did with a model printed in "Frosted Detail" – i.e. not "Frosted Ultra Detail"|
Here is the process I used:
1. I soaked it in hot water and dish soap (Palmolive Original brand) for about 10 minutes.
2. Gave it a light scrubbing with a toothbrush
3. Dried it with a paper towel and let it air dry for a few minutes
4. Gave it a light coat of grey primer (Testors light grey I believe) – I only used a light single coat, I probably would have given it a second coat, but wanted to see how it took paint.
5. Let the primer dry for a couple minutes
6. Dabbed on some paint (Vallejo 'Gory Red') (again, single coat, would have worked better with another coat or a backing coat of white)
I took the photo minutes after that, so the paint is still wet. Still, it did seem to adhere pretty well. The "feel" was right, and I think it would shape up nicely if I had taken my time.