Home » Community » Work in progress » Okko miniature game piece
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Okko miniature game piece [message #32375] Wed, 10 August 2011 01:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar R.Kurczewski  is currently offline R.Kurczewski
Go to my shop
Here's a preview of model I am preparing for printing. Inspired by excellent tabletop game "Okko" which plays with limited set of miniatures OR cardboard cut-out pieces. Since I am all into japanese history and myths as well as tabletop miniatures I just could not let such a chance pass without giving it a try (pushing technology to limits on the way) and attempted to create my own miniature for it. Roughly 35 cm in size. At the moment just making sure model is watertight and with proper geometry. Hope you like it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=10443&private=0

• Attachment: yommo.jpg
    (Size: 32.79KB, Downloaded 579 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2011 01:51 UTC]

Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32395 is a reply to message #32375 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It seems that model passed certification. Can't wait to have it printed but guess salary has to come first...
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32396 is a reply to message #32375 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Very nice model. What software do you use?
I would be concerned about the fans, fingers, and ends of the scrolls. What are their thicknesses and what material are you going to print them in?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32398 is a reply to message #32396 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, you are very kind.

I am working with Blender (basic shape) and Sculptris (sculpting folds), then scaling and merging shapes together in Blender again.

You are of course right- I am a bit concerned about details myself. It's standard wargamin "35" scale. Tried it on another miniature I did (french officer) and to my surprise fingers printed correctly. Goal of this one is to try and see how far I can push technology- that's why I added fan ribs, using traditional casting things like that would not be possible.

Material- of course a frosty super detail. I am tempted to give it a go in a white detail, too.
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32399 is a reply to message #32375 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
FUD you can get down to .1mm as long as the fans are firmly attached elsewhere, such as the body. White detail says it can go down to .2mm for details which surprises me. So as long as they are at least .2mm and attached to the body, not just the fan ribs.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32402 is a reply to message #32399 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh- everything is a single, watertight shape and yes, all "ribs" are connected to more massive parts so I HOPE (certainly I can not be certain) that it will work. We shall see Smile For now I am going to do some more feudal Japan- flavoured miniatures
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32403 is a reply to message #32375 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
You could get Netfabb basic for free, and check your thicknesses before trying to purchase. Keep up the good work.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32424 is a reply to message #32403 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I will certainly do my best, thank you for a good word and advice.
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #32577 is a reply to message #32424 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 13:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Next miniature- undead monk from Crow clan. Starting with clothes.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7dYX2jNg7OE/TkSB4Ibz6dI/AAAAAAAAW3Q/nKlWzy8CJ24/s576/monk01.jpg
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #38740 is a reply to message #32577 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 14:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Frosted ultra detail after coating (sadly, some artifacts still there)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0Ujsg1Inei8/TsE0UU_LnTI/AAAAAAAAYrw/saUDVvOIz98/s720/022.JPG

...and finished miniature (well, almost finished, no base):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h839CaM5WWQ/TsOi2QIQUXI/AAAAAAAAYtE/J_RMZIQv8lM/s720/001.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bQCyACbslJk/TsOi8FfbI5I/AAAAAAAAYtI/eGk90geQ9sI/s720/006.JPG

In overal: its a very interesting alternative to traditional prototyping but IMHO proces still requires some refining (artifacts). If that problem would disappear- i am all in for serious "print on demmand" miniature shop
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #38742 is a reply to message #32375 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 15:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Wonderful job, hard to see the face, how'd the details come out in there?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Okko miniature game piece [message #38745 is a reply to message #38742 ] Thu, 17 November 2011 15:52 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Quite decent, although they are hard to paint with cowl on head. Rule of thumb for any gaming miniature would be to exagerate A LOT. This one is realistic so some finer details get "smoothed" a bit too much.

Previous Topic:Small Vehicles?
Next Topic:Espresso Cup, version 2