Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Buying adjustments
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Buying adjustments [message #2642] Sun, 25 January 2009 00:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Well i was thinking (yea uh-oh, no smoke this time though) For some people i know that they have to try and scale models in their programs then upload them several times at different sizes to get just what they want. I have had to do this a few times because the volume was measured wrong in a few different programs.
What i think would be a great choice is to add an option that allows you to chose a price that you want the model to be when you are buying, then have the model scale accordingly to get to that volume.
Not sure how much effort would be on your side, just an idea though
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2643 is a reply to message #2642 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 01:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
lol @ no smoke bro;)

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/36-Resize,-Get-the-Ri ght-Price.html

should do the job
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2644 is a reply to message #2643 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I didnt mean only for upload, but for people who are buying it.
They have a specific amount they want to spend, but what they want at the uploaded size is to costly. So they input how much they are willing to pay and if it passes integrity checks, it is printed at that size.
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2645 is a reply to message #2644 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 07:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
Aah, I get ya... Someone brought that up over at the shop discussion and I thought it would only apply to certain models as I already design most of my items in the minimal range of material use... It could get messy
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2646 is a reply to message #2642 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Hi.
Good idea. However if you start scaling a model it could quite easily go over the borders of printability....
Any ideas on that?
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2647 is a reply to message #2646 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 12:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
There was a reply in the original shops thread that maybe the designer can impose a minimum size for the print. The maximum size is a limitation of the printer...
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2651 is a reply to message #2642 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 16:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
This still leaves the question on how much "detail" would be acceptable to lose when scaling... by the person who buys it.... ?
Re: Buying adjustments [message #2691 is a reply to message #2642 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 03:26 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Well i like the idea of having the modeler being able to set the scale range.
That way the modeler could figure out the smallest possible size the model could be without losing integrity or massive amounts of detail.
Then have it so that once the person passes that size, it gives them a warning that states that "structural integrity and details may be lost do to sizing issues"
That way, shapways shouldnt have to worry about angry letters =P
and the consumer would also be able to get items that would normally be outside their price range.

Previous Topic:Uploading Error/Delay?
Next Topic:Upload Messages

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.