Home » Community » Work in progress » Portal Themed Rings
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Portal Themed Rings [message #32275] Mon, 08 August 2011 17:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar sbruins  is currently offline sbruins
Go to my shop
Still a WIP but here are the designs so far. As a sort of mini-project the members of GrabCAD and I are working to design an LED illuminated GLaDOS ring.

Let me know what you think!

Turret Ring
http://gcp.grabcad.com/screenshots/pics/12014/medium.JPG?1312307007

http://gcp.grabcad.com/screenshots/pics/12015/medium.JPG?1312307011

GLaDOS Ring
http://gcp.grabcad.com/screenshots/pics/12058/medium.JPG?1312324827

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2011 22:03 UTC]

Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32281 is a reply to message #32275 ] Mon, 08 August 2011 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
I think they're absolutely fantastic!!! I want them all!! Razz
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32584 is a reply to message #32281 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar phildlight  is currently offline phildlight
Go to my shop
Very cool! Check out 0402 SMLED's! Smaller than a pin head. Might help.

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32585 is a reply to message #32584 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks phildlight! I have already ordered 10 of these http://www.kingbrightusa.com/gapg1608.asp?gclid=CNPypLnmsaoC FYgUKgod_yvr9w to experiment with. They are very small but still very bright. The big problem is proving to be finding the right battery and adding a switch.
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32586 is a reply to message #32585 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Could you use a small hearing aid battery and design the ring so that you twist the two sides in opposite directions to engage contacts inside to be the switch?

this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2011 16:14 UTC]

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32587 is a reply to message #32586 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have some SR416SW size batteries on order but they haven't arrived yet. I don't know much about electronics so I'm hoping they will work without frying the LED (or not being powerful enough).
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32588 is a reply to message #32587 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yep, that's probably your best bet. You wont fry the LED's. Especially not with watch or hearing aid batteries.

When you get your LED's, keep in mind that LED's have a cathode and anode side which isn't marked or identified on the little SMLED's. You just have to solder leads on the contacts and test them. Mark them when you determine which is which. You won't fry them if you get it wrong, they just wont light up.

For soldering, get double stick tape and stick the LED to the tape. Tin the lead (put solder on your iron and then dip the bare wire in the solder) then when you lay the lead on the LED, just touch the wire with the soldering iron and you should be good. Keep the heat away from the LED as much as possible.

Sorry if you already knew this.

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32590 is a reply to message #32588 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've done some basic soldering in the past but nothing this small. Thanks for the tip on using double side tape!
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32591 is a reply to message #32275 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Usually with LED's the longer wire or connector or whatever is positive (same with most electronics).

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32592 is a reply to message #32591 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yes, but SM (surface mounted) LED's don't have leads. They have contacts that are typically indistinguishable in the smallest sizes. Even with a magnifying glass the 0402 (what I work with) you cannot see any difference between sides. It's easy to test w/ a 9v battery.

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32593 is a reply to message #32275 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Philip, you are right. I did find this though. http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/APG1608CGKC -T.pdf
I went to the site sbruins said they got their leds from and it says their is a polarity mark on the bottom. This part I'm not sure about, I'm not an electrician either, but seeing the flow is from left to right, the positive is the left and the negative on the right?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32594 is a reply to message #32593 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I see. The ones I deal with don't have a mark and I'd imagine even if they did you would need one hell of a magnification device to see it. The way these things come doesn't help either.

here's a pic to help illustrate the size of these things: (btw. not my finger. LOL)

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/phildlight/0402.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2011 17:20 UTC]

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32596 is a reply to message #32275 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You can't see that? I can see it Razz jk. I have a little trouble thinking in mm. 1/32" wide is a little small to see an arrow that is probably no more than 1/64".

Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32597 is a reply to message #32596 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 18:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
You have trouble thinking in naturally tiny measurements, but have no trouble with bizarre fractions of less tiny ones? You people are backwards. Razz
Those are some frickin' minuscule LEDs - how are you even supposed to wire them up - train nanobots to do it for you?
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32598 is a reply to message #32597 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
LOL. I'm American but I can't stand imperial engineering. I can only visualize in mm now.

Soldering these things is insanely difficult. I usually destroy about 5 to get 1 good one.

It's easier to surface solder them using solder paste than to try to add leads.

Philip Light
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32666 is a reply to message #32598 ] Sun, 14 August 2011 15:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Morhighan  is currently offline Morhighan
Go to all my models
I approve of this project. So very, very much.

Also, my roommates want these as wedding rings.

Ball jointed doll enthusiast.
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32667 is a reply to message #32666 ] Sun, 14 August 2011 15:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks! I'm glad you like them!
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32687 is a reply to message #32275 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tree  is currently offline tree
Go to my shop
for switches have you thought of having it so the light is on when the ring is warn, as the battry wont be strong using the wearer as the contact completing the circuit is a viable option.

two metal rings on the inner of the main ring would work. (wow did that discription blow)

Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32869 is a reply to message #32275 ] Wed, 17 August 2011 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
philip, ef, those are small. you are a patient man.

scott, you keep us updated on this project as it goes along, lots of fun.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32871 is a reply to message #32869 ] Wed, 17 August 2011 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Will do! I discovered I ordered the wrong size batteries Embarassed
So I'm going to make a RadioShack or Ax Man run tonight and see if I can find the right ones.

Also I ruined 2 of the LEDs already trying to solder them. I think they got too hot so I'll try again tonight or tomorrow.

I have a Printed GLaDOS ring now (off our ProJet 3000 SD at work) so hopefully it won't take too much longer to get everything working!
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #32884 is a reply to message #32871 ] Thu, 18 August 2011 05:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thatdecade  is currently offline thatdecade
Go to my shop
Yep, those smd LEDs are sensitive to heat. Count to 5 when soldering. If you get to 5, allow the LED to completely cool down before continuing.
What gauge wire are you using?

I've been thinking about the switch. Using a person's finger as a conductor to complete the circuit wouldn't work, not enough current would pass to light the LED. Skin conductivity can be as much as 500k ohms. Could maybe wipe some conductive jelly on your finger, Wink

Instead what I would suggest is to have two metal contacts on the ring. One would be flat to the ring, the other would be an outstretched arm as a spring.
If placed on the inner surface, light would be on when wearing. If placed on an outer surface, light would be on when squeezed.

More spit-balling ideas, has a diameter of 1cm, sorry I wasn't able to find steady yellow. Runs on CR927 batteries. These types of lights go by a few names, body lights, candy lights, round blinkies, etc... lol
http://blinkee.com/product.php?id=Red%20Yellow
http://blinkee.com/product.php?id=Red%20Steady

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2011 05:32 UTC]

Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33024 is a reply to message #32884 ] Sun, 21 August 2011 19:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
when soldering surface electronics i use liquid solder. much easier. for this project i would get flexible pcbs made that way you can get the led battery and resister easily connected(resister not essential with tiny batteries that provide less then 20mA).

on the back side there is a tiny mark that shows which side is which but if you buy in the real then the cathod is always specified to which side of the tape it is on the data sheet.

have fun.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33104 is a reply to message #32275 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 01:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nunatak  is currently offline Nunatak
Go to all my models
These look fantastic. Believe it or not, I was listening to Portal 2 sounds clips five minutes before I found this thread. Razz

Needless to say - do want.
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33121 is a reply to message #33104 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Your portal themed rings looks fantastic!
Would love to see how they turned out when printed.

If you can deliver the models like on the render (so with the colors and glazed look) you will make lots of people happy!

--
Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Agent
Shapeways

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33138 is a reply to message #33121 ] Tue, 23 August 2011 11:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I will do my best not to disappoint!
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33580 is a reply to message #33138 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The Turret ring has arrived! It already looks great but needs some polishing and painting to be complete. I'll post some pics later. I have made the Turret ring available for purchase at my shop.

I am still working on the GLaDOS ring (finding time to work on it has been a problem). But I will post progress as soon as some is made Confused
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33591 is a reply to message #33580 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 07:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar caesar  is currently offline caesar
Go to all my models
very nice models.
could you please provide pictures of the rings unpainted and painted? I would like to know what they look like without painting.
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33762 is a reply to message #32275 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 11:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Psychobob  is currently offline Psychobob
Go to my shop
I think these are absolutly fantastic. I think the turret and Glados are my favourites Smile

Great idea!

Check out my blog on my 3D print projects:
http://www.psychobob.co.uk

And here's my Shapeways shop!
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/PsychobobArts
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33810 is a reply to message #33762 ] Mon, 05 September 2011 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry for the wait ( I don't own a camera so I had to borrow one) here are the unpainted pictures. I polished it a bit but not to a mirror finish as it is getting painted after all.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0xjpK8iDF9k/TmUK30-bQpI/AAAAAAAAED8/WQ2nKSAhmy4/s800/DSC_0279-1.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bsRGet7rOZw/TmUK4fKtMsI/AAAAAAAAEEA/xwmqhcjfhws/s800/DSC_0277-1.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6LT2EeNrYZM/TmUK4tXZA2I/AAAAAAAAEEE/-XSM_XFDcSg/s800/DSC_0274-1.JPG
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33811 is a reply to message #33810 ] Mon, 05 September 2011 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
sooooo coool Surprised Shocked
Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #33837 is a reply to message #32275 ] Tue, 06 September 2011 11:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just wanted to let everyone know the Portal Turret ring is now available in sizes 8-13 (including fractional sizes).

http://www.shapeways.com/model/305903/

[Updated on: Tue, 06 September 2011 11:55 UTC]

Re: Portal Themed Rings [message #46890 is a reply to message #33837 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar shbunie  is currently offline shbunie
Go to all my models
Nice work, that looks amazing, will you be making a black and white (and red and blue..) like the original disign as well?
Also are you considering making other ring sizes available?
As i may need to get me one of those Razz

Previous Topic:Bobo Devil Dog..
Next Topic:Converting crystal structures to printable files

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.