Choosing a Mac-based CAD program

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by ahncinema, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ahncinema
    ahncinema Member
    So, I'm in the market for a new Mac-based 3D CAD program. AutoCAD 2001 Mac is useful for 75% of my 3D printing projects, but it's missing too many features and has too many bugs for me to stick with it.
    I'm looking for an industrial design or engineering CAD program in the sub-$300 range. I'm less interested in the ability to model wild organic shapes than I am in having precise control over dimensions. Solidworks sounds great, save for the $3k price tag. How have people found TurboCAD? The CAD selection for Mac users is slim, but I'm hoping there's a solution out there.

2. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
  3. 98618_deleted
    98618_deleted Member
    i have turbocad will this work? Has any one used it before?

4. ahncinema
    ahncinema Member
    I've been looking at TurboCAD, and it seems like I'll probably end up with that. I'm still on the fence over whether to buy the Deluxe version, or the Pro version. I'm not sure what exactly the extra $200 buys.

5. 37612_deleted
    37612_deleted Member
    @ albasicdude, did you make a decision on a mac based CAD app?.
    I'm also on the look-out, but don't want to spend too much as it's only
    for personal use.

@ Bill, your punch-cad suggestion looks very promising. Do you use this app yourself?.
    Have you ever looked at Alibre?, and if so, how do the two compare?. As I said above,
    I'm just looking to use it for personal projects, and I don't want something too complicated
    to learn. Punch-cad looks too good to be true, for the cost. It would be good to know the app
    can handle more complicated projects as I gain experience.

Regards,

Stuart.

6. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    I've seen Alibre, but not used it since it doesn't run on a Mac. I the main difference I can see between it and ViaCad is that Alibre uses component/assembly drawings which, If I have understood the architecture correctly is not likely ever to come to the Mac. As for complications, I think that the triangle limits imposed by Shapeways will be more of a limit than anything you can do in CAD. But, feel free to look though my uploads to see what is possible with the software.
    Loco
    Tender

7. 37612_deleted
    37612_deleted Member
    Thanks Bill, looks like I will be taking the plunge with viacad.

8. ahncinema
    ahncinema Member
    I hadn't seen ViaCAD in my previous searches, but it looks quite good. I'm starting to think running Boot Camp with Windows 7 on my Mac might make the most sense. There are far too many CAD options for Windows users for me to limit myself to what has trickled down to Mac.