Home » Community » It arrived! » Long awaited ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Long awaited ring [message #31825] Fri, 29 July 2011 21:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It took several tries to get it accepted, and was victim of a backlog of silver, but today it finally arrived.

index.php?t=getfile&id=10233&private=0

This ring is designed by me for a special someone. If you'd like this one, well too bad Razz. If you'd like me to design you a ring, let me know.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Long awaited ring [message #31852 is a reply to message #31825 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Wow! Looks fantastic!
Congrats!

Has the silver ring some flexibility so that you can insert the precious stone or do you have to deform the small pegs?

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Long awaited ring [message #31856 is a reply to message #31825 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The ring isn't connected at the ends (if that makes sense) It's kind of like a keychain ring effect, so it can be expanded for the stone, then clamps back down.
index.php?t=getfile&id=10240&private=0

• Attachment: open.jpg
    (Size: 1.21MB, Downloaded 705 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2011 15:57 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Long awaited ring [message #32021 is a reply to message #31825 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Dude! Very nicely done! Very Happy

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Long awaited ring [message #32047 is a reply to message #31825 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 12:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Thanks bud, I'd really like to design more. Anyone want a ring?

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32048 is a reply to message #32047 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 12:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id =98
Laughing

Post an ad there with details an pictures Smile

I'd still recommend adding a link to the model in your shop (show only)
Add a bunch of nice pictures, short background, process details, and a short sales pitch including contact info.
And perhaps a few links to other models that show your skills.

But I'll help spread the word!

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32050 is a reply to message #31825 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ok ok, you win Razz. Here's the model.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/262406/the_ring.html?gid=ug
I'll have to add pics when I'm home.
As always if you want to contact me, email is below, PM me, Skype me, facebook me, google+ me, you could even myspace me. I don't check my myspace, but I get email notifications.

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32075 is a reply to message #32050 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Excellent execution!

How does it stay together - how do you keep the stone from falling out? I see the prongs, but can't tell if there is more to it than that.

Also, if you want to design rings, here is $2000 up for grabs in a ring design contest. Good luck! Smile

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Long awaited ring [message #32080 is a reply to message #31825 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Thanks for the contest! I'll definitely be entering.

The ring isn't a complete ring, the ends (where you can see a gap) is not connected. It's designed so that you can expand the area where the stone is, and it clamps down on the stone.

For the second picture, to give it the red and blue shine, I have a neon open sign that I lit up to get some nice reflections. The first picture I had to turn down the red (using paint.net) to get it back to its silver look as I took the pictures in my dinning room which is fire engine red.

Edit: I don't see where $2000 is offered? just a copy of the design. Which would come in handy Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2011 18:53 UTC]

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32085 is a reply to message #32080 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 21:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I guess that $2000 is for another contest

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32092 is a reply to message #32085 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 05:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Oops! Embarassed Virtox is right...no cash for the ring contest...boo! Sad

I get how your ring works now...thanks for that.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Long awaited ring [message #32159 is a reply to message #32092 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Michael, you're all up in Friday Finds, buddy!

Btw, when does the special someone get the special ring?

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32161 is a reply to message #31825 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Thanks buddy! You'll get it next time I see you Wink jk, she already has it. I'll have to start designing the next ring for her, and start saving up, she said the next one has to be a real diamond Crying or Very Sad lol.

Re: Long awaited ring [message #32164 is a reply to message #32161 ] Fri, 05 August 2011 22:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Quote:

Thanks buddy! You'll get it next time I see you

Aw you shouldn't have. Laughing

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Hexed Mixup by OSKAR
Next Topic:got my stuff

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.