Home » Community » General Discussion » 3D printing companies
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: 3D printing companies [message #52819 is a reply to message #32788 ] Sun, 19 August 2012 09:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
... this discussion is rather old but recently I 've made a test in Prime Gray and the result is very astonishing:

- looks very smooth
- the grey is a very helpfull color (at least for my items)
- in macro you see the steps but in reality only from a very very short distance

On the picture it looks the first time like a material which can be used without further coloring.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7765540768_c429c39500_n.jpg

Link to larger view:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34336019@N07/7765540768/sizes/l /in/photostream/

The steps are to 98% only visible in this macro view.

(The black detailed material always has the problem that you see some small white corns on it, which are very visible on each photo)

Woody64

[Updated on: Sun, 19 August 2012 09:44 UTC]

More then 7500 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once)
Re: 3D printing companies [message #52820 is a reply to message #52819 ] Sun, 19 August 2012 09:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Some time ago I asked Shapeways if they were considering this Prime Grey material and they said Yes.

There has been nothing since.

Any word from Shapeways if they are seriously considering this very useful material, or should we go elsewhere?
Re: 3D printing companies [message #52821 is a reply to message #52820 ] Sun, 19 August 2012 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
I would be very interested in since for 90% of my items grey would be very usefull as base color.
Also the look on photos and the look in reality is very convincing.
Woody64

More then 7500 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once)
Re: 3D printing companies [message #66236 is a reply to message #52821 ] Wed, 17 April 2013 02:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Strangefate  is currently offline Strangefate
Go to my shop
Sorry to resurrect an old threat, but after printing some things here and ordering sample kits from imaterilise and shapeways, I too would love to have something comparable to prime gray.

The color itself isn't much of an issue but the surface finish and strength feels very nice (and so does the price).

Only WSF seems to be relatively strong and flexible as the name says but the surface is rather rough, even when polished. FUD is nice but too brittle.

Something that feels more 'toyetic', closer to standard plastic toy quality (like prime gray) would be really awesome.

Re: 3D printing companies [message #66398 is a reply to message #66236 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 03:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Shapeways is definitely the best I've across. i.Materialise is good at what they do - they're the only company I would see as legitimate competition to Shapeways - but their prices for comparable models are double or more what I pay here on Shapeways, and their seller interface is so unintuitive I gave up trying to work with it. The one place i.Materialise definitely has the upper hand - and I wish Shapeways would take them on in this regard - is material selection. Gold, Brass, Prime Gray, and Detail Stainless Steel? Me WANT. But I just can't justify it at their prices.
Re: 3D printing companies [message #66446 is a reply to message #31626 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well, since this thread has been resurrected there is another point that I like about that company: Once you have uploaded a model it is VERY easy to simply type in a larger or smaller scale and INSTANTLY your model is updated and re-priced. I absolutely HATE having to re-upload a different sized model to Shapeways just to see what the price will be. And, YES, I KNOW I could figure it out with a calculator based on volume, but really do I want to do that with every material, AND have to make sure I don't forget minimum fees, etc.... This is something that I would love to see Shapeways address.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 3D printing companies [message #66491 is a reply to message #66446 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 01:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Strangefate  is currently offline Strangefate
Go to my shop
Yes, the scale feature on imaterilaise seemed really convenient. I guess everytime you change the scale you'd have to wait for the website to test it's printability, but it would be an awesome feature, very useful for rings, some miniatures etc.

To come back to the materials issue... WSF has some great properties but is so 'rapid prototype' era, I think I'm personally ready for something with a decent finish that doesn't break if I look at it for too long.

Other than that, I do love shapeways, they seem like an overall friendlier folk and their website is easy to navigate.
Re: 3D printing companies [message #66492 is a reply to message #66491 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 03:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I would agree with that last statement. Customer Service is second to none in ANY online company I have dealt with.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 3D printing companies [message #67127 is a reply to message #66492 ] Tue, 30 April 2013 10:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
In Australia we have few options but i recently found a great little 3d printing company just called Rapid Prototyping Services. the turnaround for silver and gold is just a couple of days, they dont remove sprues but the quality is amazing. also they price per gram of sterling silver and gold.

here is a sample image of a silver print i had done, needed for quick turnaround, the height of the band is 2.5 mm.

index.php?t=getfile&id=31568&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_3392.jpg
    (Size: 127.75KB, Downloaded 89 time(s))

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:UK Orders in GBP please
Next Topic:How do I get different models?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.