Home » Support » 3D Printing » gummy material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
gummy material [message #2526] Mon, 19 January 2009 18:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar smog  is currently offline smog
Go to all my models
Hello,
I would like to know if you have the possibility to print a flexible/gummy material: now i'm working in a project that needs a sort of soft skin that is wrapping 2 single "bones". The skin is necessary to contain the bones and to allow a small movement (like a joint), so the skin must to be elastic.

I remember that I saw in the website, a vase made out of a soft material (there was a picture with the vase squeezed by the hand).
I would like to know if is possible to print something like this, and if the answer is positive, what could be the minimum thickness?

Thank you a lot in advance
Re: gummy material [message #2529 is a reply to message #2526 ] Mon, 19 January 2009 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
Just an idea...(untried myself)...what about wrapping a Shapeways model with Bake & Bend (From Sculpey)?

Do a google search Smile

Edit : I overcame my laziness and did a google search for a link Smile
http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_poly_superflex.htm

[Updated on: Mon, 19 January 2009 21:31 UTC]

Re: gummy material [message #2532 is a reply to message #2526 ] Mon, 19 January 2009 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Smog!

smog wrote on Mon, 19 January 2009 13:24

Hello,
I would like to know if you have the possibility to print a flexible/gummy material: now i'm working in a project that needs a sort of soft skin that is wrapping 2 single "bones". The skin is necessary to contain the bones and to allow a small movement (like a joint), so the skin must to be elastic.

I know what you mean. We currently do not offer that material It does exist. There are no concrete plans to offer it in the future. But we can always be persuaded in case of popular demand. Just let us know!

Cheers!

Robert

Re: gummy material [message #2533 is a reply to message #2532 ] Mon, 19 January 2009 22:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar frigi  is currently offline frigi
Go to all my models
That sort of demand is like really difficult to archieve here though. Don't get get me wrong but you gotta get like the whole community behind you and all of them posting here that they want it, otherwise it's no use.

So let me do the start: I'm with you on this one.

@Shapeways: I know that you guys like the idea of setting up official polls on the frontpage for this kind of stuff - at least you told me so several times - but the time you actually do it is yet to come. It would be great if that changes some time soon.
Re: gummy material [message #2564 is a reply to message #2533 ] Wed, 21 January 2009 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi frigi,

No worries!

It works a bit like this. If there is enough activity in this thread it will get noticed.

We did a poll on our next material back in September. We let you guys choose between a blue, grey and black material. Most of the votes went to black. So that is what we added.

Cheers!

Robert
Re: gummy material [message #2570 is a reply to message #2564 ] Thu, 22 January 2009 02:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I think you should find someone who can print flubber.

Wink

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic:Help Pricing Details!
Next Topic:The way they are printed?