Why aren't my models working?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by AbcAbcwebd, Jan 17, 2009.

1. AbcAbcwebd
    AbcAbcwebd Member

Hey,

I recently uploaded a series of models for a game I am working on. They uploaded fine (some after a couple of tries), but, when I ordered them, my money was refunded. Support tells me that shouldn't happen. Anyway, they said I could run models by them, to see if they would print, before I order them. I did new, similar, models to be much simpler and stylized than the first ones (I think that will make them neat anyway especially as they are quite small).
    One worked, but the other three have problems.

Here is the information they gave me.

Here is the Info they gave me.

Attached Files:

2. AbcAbcwebd
    AbcAbcwebd Member
    Now, here is the thing. My model look slightly different in the picture than they do in Blender. Only slightly. I expect it happened when I exported to .x3D. Is that normal? It doesen't really bother me. Except, I am wondering if that could have caused the problems.

If you think it didn't perhaps you can refer me to a good tutorial on fixing inverted normals, and bad edges.

Thanks!

(Look at the pictures.)

Mazdonas the most different. The tower doesn't seem to have any major differences. The mans a bit more blockie.

Attached Files:

3. AbcAbcwebd
    AbcAbcwebd Member
    Here is the man.

Attached Files:

4. AbcAbcwebd
    AbcAbcwebd Member
    And, just in case, the tower.

Attached Files:

5. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Hey there Abc,

I just want to make sure you understand what an inverted normal is, and what a bad edge is ... so, if you already know, please don't feel offended.

Understanding Inverted Normals

When a solid model, like a cube, is created, the polygons that make up this model are only one sided and face outwards. The inward side does not exist. If your view was put inside the solid cube looking out, you would not see the sides of the cube. You would see through them.

When one of the polygons on your model has an inverted normal, something has happened to switch the face inward instead of outward.

In this case, if your view was inside the model, then looking out, you would see that particular polygon with the inverted normal.

So, the solution is to choose that particular polygon, and "flip" the normal, as it is termed in 3DStudioMax and other programs.

The Bad Edge

In my experience, a bad edge has always been an edge where the vertices of the polygons don't actually connect.

A model where this occurs is often termed as a model that is not watertight. This description is useful, because if you imagine your model being filled with water, then technically the water would leak out of bad edges.

The solution here would be to select the vertices that should connect, and combine them together as one .. or "collapse" them as it is termed in 3DStudioMax

Hope this helps!

-Whystler

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. joris
    joris Member
    Thanx Whystler!

Abc,

In nearly all cases the Shapeways upload process checks your models and if it is uploaded correctly it should be print-able.

But, in some isolated cases we learn new things and come across models that pass our checks but can not be printed.

For example: we do not have a check in place, at the moment, that can determine if your model is too fragile to ship. We have other checks that check wall thickness, overall thickness etc. But, in some cases a model that passes those still is way too fragile. Thats why people manually check the models, as a last resort.

So it still can happen that a model passes the checks but that we decide to refund your model anyway. We're working on improving our software every day and this problem should get less and less as time goes on.

Just in case you haven't found them we have a bunch of tutorials for you:
    https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/

Joris

7. AbcAbcwebd
    AbcAbcwebd Member
    Thanks.