Is there an easy way for tracing geometry?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Corneel, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Corneel
    Corneel Member
    What is the best route from any model to a STL when it is not drafted for STL yet?
    Is there a utility that can easily can 'trace' the geometry?
    Or do I always need to connect edges to build meshes?

I have a detailed model (well not yet complete but its getting there) made for rendering. In time I have to scale the model, and decide what details I will keep or not for 3D-printing (hull thickness, number of polygons).
    There are big simple objects, and small detailed objects that are not joined yet.
    After that, I have to make it an shapeways-approved-STL.
    (Now work in Microstation and Rhinoceros.)

Hope you can tell me suitable work-flow from experiences!

Cor

2. Corneel
    Corneel Member
    I guess its a NO....

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    You might get a better response in the 3D Applications thread, and it would probably help to post some more information about the file format you have your model saved as and what steps you've tried to convert the file to any of the file formats that Shapeways accepts.

If you get really stuck, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do to get you on your feet.

Paul

4. Corneel
    Corneel Member
    Thx, I will post there.
    Somehow I couldn't find the page back then.

5. Corneel
    Corneel Member
    It's a collection of parts that together form the model of a ship. It's easy to export a single part to STL, but the whole assembly of parts is to complex for the software to merge into one single object.
    The model consists of smartsolids in Microstation (Bentley) but can be exported in most formats. I haven't finished the model yet, so I don't feel like going into a tedious non-reversible path for production yet.

Seems not all 3D printers need one-single-mesh but also accept several colliding meshes ?

Might have to try the Cadspan resurfacing tool.
    Anyone experience with that utility ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011