Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » What glue to use for WSF to s/steel?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30460] Fri, 08 July 2011 11:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Has anyone had any experience gluing WSF (or any other acrylic/plastic) to stainless steel?

Just wondering what would be the best to use for a really strong bond (jewellery use).

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30648 is a reply to message #30460 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Have a hunt for 'Devcon' and 'jewelry' (UK = jewellery), I've seen some of Devcon's clear epoxies are useful for jewellery making - you'd need to scuff up any smooth surfaces for the epoxy to grab to.

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30649 is a reply to message #30460 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks. Can't say that I've heard of that before. I'll see if I can find it in Canada.

Glenn

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30655 is a reply to message #30649 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 22:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I have never found 2 materials that wouldn't bond well with E-6000.

Make sure you use it in a well ventilation room.

The toxic fumes are how you know it is working. Wink

Seriously though, any hobby store should have it, and it is STRONG!

Lincoln

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2011 22:10 UTC]

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30661 is a reply to message #30460 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 01:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks. I was on a jewellery (jewelry!) forum recently and that was mentioned also as a very good choice.

Glenn

Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30854 is a reply to message #30661 ] Thu, 14 July 2011 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar merana33  is currently offline merana33
Go to all my models
My usual 'go to' resource for questions like this is http://www.thistothat.com/.

They recomend using an epoxy, which I would agree with. The porus nature of WSF will allow the epoxy to 'soak in' to the WSF and get a good solid hold.

Normally I'm a huge fan of E-6000, but I've found that on smooth, hard surfaces it can peel off if subjected to sideways force.

So if your S/Steel surface is nice and smooth I'd use an epoxy, but if it's rough enough to allow E-6000 to get a good grip that may be your better bet.
Re: What glue to use for WSF to s/steel? [message #30856 is a reply to message #30460 ] Thu, 14 July 2011 15:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for the advice and that great link...

Glenn

Previous Topic:best material for key ring?
Next Topic:Any Advice on Decorative Chrome / Vacuum Metalizing for WSF?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.