Home » Community » It arrived! » Spinning Gear Ring in SS
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30407] Thu, 07 July 2011 19:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar owlposse  is currently offline owlposse
Go to all my models
Shapeways Crew
Hey guys,

I've been fiddling around with this ring design since November last year. I think I've now finalised it. It is part of a whole range of jewellery I'm working on so it won't be for sale for a little while yet.

This ring has a free-moving gear that you can spin with your finger. I thought it would be a great fidget's ring, as it's kinda addictive Smile The little cutout hole shows a section of the gear teeth turning and looks kinda neat.

After a lot of thought and testing, I've decided to print the ring and the gear separately (no moving parts rule with SS), using a cut down nail as the spoke. I just glued this baby together yesterday and I'll be knocking it around, washing my hands while wearing it and generally trying to see if it holds solid. I tried rubber cement but it was too flexible for my liking so I'm now using a more epoxy based glue.

Anyway see pics below and let me know what you think Very Happy

http://blog.owlposse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/gearRingParts.jpg

http://blog.owlposse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/gearRingAssembled.jpg

http://blog.owlposse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/gearRingLB.jpg

I am loving the Shapeways service and the close knit community here. It makes things truly magical beyond just receiving your prints which is awesome enough on its own.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2011 20:17 UTC]

Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30410 is a reply to message #30407 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert

Niiiiiice !

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30437 is a reply to message #30410 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapeways Crew
Thanks, dizingof Very Happy
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30443 is a reply to message #30437 ] Thu, 07 July 2011 23:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Sweeet.

Duann Scott

Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30447 is a reply to message #30407 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 03:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Fantastic ring, you really did an amazing job!!!

I hope you offer it in various sizes, I would totally order it!
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30448 is a reply to message #30447 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 04:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapeways Crew
Thanks cadalu, I'm so glad you like it!

I'll be offering it in a couple of set sizes initially, so people can find their best fit. It's kinda a tricky one to make a co-creator out of but it'd be interesting to try that also Smile

Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30475 is a reply to message #30448 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
great! can we get a video?

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30477 is a reply to message #30475 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 17:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapeways Crew
Quote:

great! can we get a video?

sure baltimore, I should have time this weekend to do one Smile
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30502 is a reply to message #30407 ] Fri, 08 July 2011 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Cool design!

I would recommend using E-6000 for your adhesive. Myself and most other people working jewelry that I have talked to feel it is the best metal to metal glue.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30513 is a reply to message #30502 ] Sat, 09 July 2011 02:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapeways Crew
Quote:

I would recommend using E-6000 for your adhesive. Myself and most other people working jewelry that I have talked to feel it is the best metal to metal glue.

Sweet! That's the glue I ended up going with after the cement didn't deliver Very Happy

It's still holding well, I've been spinning the gear like a maniac trying to break it Laughing
Re: Spinning Gear Ring in SS [message #30539 is a reply to message #30513 ] Sat, 09 July 2011 20:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Spongeinside  is currently offline Spongeinside
Go to my shop
=D Soo cool! When can we expect this beauty to be available for sale?

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

Previous Topic:Gumball's newest dice 2011-07-08
Next Topic:Open Source 4x4x6 Cuboid Twisty Puzzle

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.