Spinning Gear Ring in SS

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 48108_deleted, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 48108_deleted
    48108_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

I've been fiddling around with this ring design since November last year. I think I've now finalised it. It is part of a whole range of jewellery I'm working on so it won't be for sale for a little while yet.

This ring has a free-moving gear that you can spin with your finger. I thought it would be a great fidget's ring, as it's kinda addictive :) The little cutout hole shows a section of the gear teeth turning and looks kinda neat.

After a lot of thought and testing, I've decided to print the ring and the gear separately (no moving parts rule with SS), using a cut down nail as the spoke. I just glued this baby together yesterday and I'll be knocking it around, washing my hands while wearing it and generally trying to see if it holds solid. I tried rubber cement but it was too flexible for my liking so I'm now using a more epoxy based glue.

Anyway see pics below and let me know what you think :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am loving the Shapeways service and the close knit community here. It makes things truly magical beyond just receiving your prints which is awesome enough on its own.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Niiiiiice !

3. 48108_deleted
    48108_deleted Member
    Thanks, dizingof :D

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Sweeet.

5. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Fantastic ring, you really did an amazing job!!!

I hope you offer it in various sizes, I would totally order it!

6. 48108_deleted
    48108_deleted Member
    Thanks cadalu, I'm so glad you like it!

I'll be offering it in a couple of set sizes initially, so people can find their best fit. It's kinda a tricky one to make a co-creator out of but it'd be interesting to try that also :)

7. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    great! can we get a video?

8. 48108_deleted
    48108_deleted Member
    sure baltimore, I should have time this weekend to do one :)

9. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Cool design!

I would recommend using E-6000 for your adhesive. Myself and most other people working jewelry that I have talked to feel it is the best metal to metal glue.

Lincoln

10. 48108_deleted
    48108_deleted Member
    Sweet! That's the glue I ended up going with after the cement didn't deliver :D

It's still holding well, I've been spinning the gear like a maniac trying to break it :laughing:

11. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    =D Soo cool! When can we expect this beauty to be available for sale?