Ceramic Mug

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by MuseumofSmallThings, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I decided to whip up something quick to get printed in Glazed Ceramic. This is what i came up with, its the same size as a common mug. The cost came to $137.38 (€ 94.82). Does this price seem normal? There must be a lot of surface area on the teeth. I very rarely model anything that isn't one whole complete object. With this model though, the teeth are all separate objects and i wonder if the algorithm used to work out surface area is adding the surface of each individual object or not? I know that this was once the case for Volume but not anymore. Teeth mug 01.jpg

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    You can use NetFabb Basic to check the surface area.

If the teeth are all seperate shells, and have a gap between each tooth, you could probably shave a bit off the price by bridging the gaps, the gaps would probably be filled with glaze anyway.

3. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Yeah, I wonder about how much detail on the teeth would be lost after glazing.

Conceptually, that's freaky. And fun! :)

4. 45235_deleted
    45235_deleted Member
    freaky! reminds me of
    [​IMG]

but with more of a piranha-plant/audrey 2 (little shop of horrors) vibe.

5. Wow that mug is much more subtle, i think i like it more. I might remodel my mug so its all one object with no nesting geometry and see if its cheaper. Finding the time to do this before they stop the ceramic is my only concern. Hopefully ceramic will be hear to stay though?

Leigh

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I can't say (because I don't know) but the team has been doing some good work in that direction, and making some good progress.

Fingers crossed, for sure.

7. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    I find your design absolutely terrifying. I like it! I'm not sure how you'd drink out of it (physically or psychologically) but something like that would make an interesting vase as well. It would look like it was eating the flowers.

8. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    this mug is awesome!!! you should offer it in wsf as well for those who don't want to drink out of it but think it would make the coolest desktop pencil cup ever.

9. Hey that's a great idea. I just need to find the time. So busy at the moment.

Leigh