Bitcoin ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by goebat, Jul 5, 2011.

1. goebat
    goebat Member
    Hi,

This is my first post in here, so greetings everyone!

My first item in sterling silver arrived yesterday and I thought I'd share my excitement here.

It is a bitcoin ring. If you don't know what bitcoins are, they're a new decentralised, digital peer to peer currency that's got a lot of people really
    excited. If you'd like to find out more, check out http://www.bitcoin.org/

Here are some pics of my new design, and some of the original design too:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

The ring with the larger logo is the original design, in stainless steel.

Hope you like them :)
    Cheers!

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Great design !

Crazy virtual coin concept !

Just read a minute ago about it and how a hacker created those coins for him self on some victims PCs.. nuts..

What's more amazing is that there are e-businesses/merchants that started accepting this coin.. a new e-revolution? :eek:

3. goebat
    goebat Member
    Thanks dizingof!

It is a pretty revolutionary concept. I'm not sure exactly what hacking incident you're referring to, but there have been some high profile hacks targeting bitcoin recently, most notably one of the major exchanges got hacked and they got away with a few thousand bitcoins, and some guy had his wallet file on his pc breached. As for creating fake bitcoins - that's nearly impossible to do AFAIK. You'd need access to processing power greater than the combined processing power of the entire bitcoin network to do that - which at this point is MASSIVE. Because people can generate bitcoins by processing the algorithms necessary to keep the network secure, thousands of people have started "mining" bitcoins using dedicated multiple GPU based setups, so that's a lot of processing power preserving the integrity of the currency.

Anyway, it's definitely an interesting technology to keep an eye on. It's not the most stable currency right now with some pretty wild fluctuations in value, but I recon it will stabilise once more people start to adopt it.

An e-revolution indeed! I like that the ring is kind of a mash-up of 2 revolutionary technologies - 3d printing and bitcoins! Now, if only I can get shapeways to accept bitcoin as payment...

4. Hahaha, this is great. I will keep my eye on this bitcion revolution. Looks like there is a lot of room for incidents as it is in its infancy. Think i might go do some reading about it now. Great ring, well done.

Leigh

5. goebat
    goebat Member
    Thanks Leigh, I'm really glad you like the ring, and i'm stoked to have introduced some new people to the concept of bitcoins!

6. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Very cool.

If you update the second photograph on your model page to be the first image, we can feature this on the front page.

Awesome

7. goebat
    goebat Member
    That's fantastic - you just made my day drscott!

I've deleted the rendering and re-uploaded it to shuffle the images around.

Many thanks!

8. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Perfect

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Deleting and re-adding shouldn't be necessary, down the right side is a default image drop box.

10. goebat
    goebat Member
    @drscott: Just saw your tweet! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar - I can't wait to see the spike on google analytics!

11. goebat
    goebat Member
    @Youknowwho4eva: cheers mate - I saw that after I had done my manual juggling act.

12. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    You are most welcome,
    Sorry to bother, but can you make a real tight crop the first image as it is a little hard to see on the front page gallery.

Cheers

13. goebat
    goebat Member
    I've uploaded the cropped image. Thanks again!

14. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    So much geeky fun. Very original goebat. :)

15. goebat
    goebat Member
    Thanks ana, I hope to upload plenty more original designs - though they probably won't all be as geeky as this one!

16. goebat
    goebat Member
    Hi!

I just received my first Bitcoin ring in Silver Polished - and it looks stunning!

Close - up:
    DSC_0002.jpg

Another close - up:
    DSC_0004.jpg

Side-by-side comparison with a Silver ring (hand polished by myself - I obviously didn't do as good a job as the shapeways team):
    DSC_0007.jpg

Another comparison shot:
    DSC_0008.jpg

A cheeky shot with my stash so far:
    DSC_0020.jpg

It even came in a groovy little black pouch - very nice touch guys!

I'm very happy with this finish - well worth the extra cashola.

Cheers!