Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Shop Categories improvement
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shop Categories improvement [message #30152] Sun, 03 July 2011 16:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi all,

Shop categories are great to navigate in the shops, but it is perhaps time to improve them a little bit.
On my side, I see 4 possible improvements, so here are my suggestions:

1) be able to rename a shop category. Currently you have to erase it, recreate one and re-categorize your objects (well, it is more handy the create a new one, re-categorize the models filtered by the old category and then erase the ald category).

2) I would like to be able to order the shop categories. Currently it is impossible to re-order the categories: the latest one is the last one. So if you want the category that you just created to be first one that's "easy": just erase all the others, create the new one and recreate all the previous ones.

Note that this is two point also apply to the pictures in the model description: currently there is no way to rename them or to change the order.

3) I would like to create sub-categories. Example in the "Dice" category, I would like to have the "Unsual Numbering" sub-category.

4) When I select one category, instead of seeing on the right column all the categories wherever I am in my shop, I would like to see only the categories that apply to my current selection (would work well for the sub-categories, but not only). If you want to select a new category that does not apply to the current category, just use the back option. Ex: I am navigating the Dice category, there is no point showing me the Ceramic category on the right, I want only to see the other categories my dice belong to (ex: sub-categories like "Unusual Numbering" but also other categories like "New" etc.). If I want to see "Ceramics" models, I would have to go back to the shop main page. This is even more powerful than sub-categories (and probably easier to implement). Because you can navigate in different ways: for instance "Train Shop > 1/144 scale > Bridges" or "Train Shop > Bridges > 1/144 scale"

Thanks for your attention.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 July 2011 05:39 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Shop Categories improvement [message #30154 is a reply to message #30152 ] Sun, 03 July 2011 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
+1 for all points

And might I be so bold as to repeat add a request for a "rich description" per shop section.

Thanks!

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shop Categories improvement [message #30161 is a reply to message #30154 ] Mon, 04 July 2011 05:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
sub categories do kind of exist.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/propmodule?section=Specialty[Data]

will go to all my data dice

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/propmodule?section=Specialty

will show all dice categorised as a one of the specialty dice no mater which type even though i did not define this as a type.

I do think there should be a rename option. I have asked for a few categories to be renamed because it would take hours by the method magic suggested as possible now.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Shop Categories improvement [message #30246 is a reply to message #30161 ] Tue, 05 July 2011 21:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
@Virtox: rich descriptions for shop section are now (somehow) available. Check this thread.

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:Weird bug in sections
Next Topic:HTML in description

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.