Final Negotiations on FD/FUD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 9694_deleted, Jun 23, 2011.

1. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey everyone,

I know many of you guys are waiting urgently for the word on FUD. You haven't seen a big announcement today because we're still in our final hours of negotiation. We'll be back tomorrow with news that we hope you'll be happy with.

Sorry to keep you hanging any longer, but an answer is on its way!

Thanks,
    Ana

2. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    OK (bites fingernails).........

3. SierraStudios
    SierraStudios Member
    Holy cow! My insides are already turning with nervous anticipation!! Please give us some good news!!!!! :( :confused

4. 88695_deleted
    88695_deleted Member
    fingers crossed..

5. The suspense is unbearable.... :rolleyes:

6. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hang tight all!
    In NYC they just had their lunch! :eek:
    So they have some hours left!

Cheers
    Mitchell Jetten

from Europe

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey guys, you can relax. FUD is staying.

Details are here.

Whew!

8. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    glad it's staying but that startup cost sucks in a major way...

it eliminates 50% of the items i was planning on making by increasing their price by 800 % in some cases...

9. Great news.... Could someone explain the startup cost, however?

Is that $5.00 per model? Or is it for an order of multiple designs or an order of say 10 prints of one design?

Thanks!

10. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hi roundmountaingroup,

For the moment a great suggestion for you is to group some models in a single stl file (or other format)
    this way you have to order just 1 model wich contains multiple models inside it!
    And you only pay the startup costs once ;)

Please do note that Shapeways probably will make a maximum parts per file rule in the future!

11. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    ... but if they do make a maximum number of parts per file then you have to join all your parts with small sprues :rolleyes:

12. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    One way to get around that is to group many 3d objects within a single order. It is not as convenient as ordering exactly what you want at the drop of a dime but... The only way to get around the startup cost. And with a ceiling of 1mil polys you can fit quite a bit of gear in a single uploadable file. I do feel your pain though concerning most of your items. That is a pain.

I guess I am surprised that the wall thicknesses of .3mm for FUD is remaining? Thought it might have caused a lot of misprints etc but hey, good to go.

Woot? WOOT!

Doh, sorry, you guys beat me to the punch x2 as I was still replying.

13. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    at least with FUD those sprues can be pretty thin

14. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
  15. SierraStudios
    SierraStudios Member
    So this start up cost, will it be applied to ONLY this first model printed in each design or will it be charged to each individual printing? And is there another way to offset this? This makes things difficult for those of us who are designing for sale but can't afford to buy the first of each of our models to eliminate the cost. And will the models that have already been uploaded in FUD be "grandfathered" in and not have the start up cost? This is probably going to drive off a lot of designers and put a pretty big dent in the amount of new designs in these materials from the designers who stay. That's just my opinion though. I could be wrong...

16. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    From the sound of it, the cost is per individual order printed no matter how many times. It does rather kill the on-demand print of smaller items from the looks of it.

So has anyone done the math on the cost of how large a new order has to be to swallow the $5 startup fee vs. the old prices? I'm terrible at math, just wondering at what price point do you start to see the value of the new cost.

17. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    is it per order, or per model, or per design?

18. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    Also this way too high startup kills completely my whole product line here on Shapeways. :( Now for me it's clear: Selling on eBay is the way to go. Stuffing a lot of parts in one STL file only works when I repackage my things and sell them there...

19. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    same here. would have much preferred a price increase than a startup fee.

20. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    I think even with the startup cost, it's still cheaper than the same prints from print a part/fineline prototyping on their Invision HR. For tiny parts you would want to sprue them anyway for the most part.