65mm high abomination [frosted ultra]

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 83622_deleted, May 31, 2011.

1. 83622_deleted
    83622_deleted Member
    This was done for a miniature game. I took the liberty at making it the abomination it should be.

(Warhammer fantasy battle - chaos spawn)

http://imgur.com/a/oCV7t

There was a little problem when trying to remove the wax residue. When I finally found the substance that removed the wax, it corroded the platic a bit too. This was a test subject anyway. The grain is so small though, that with a naked eye you don't see it that much.
    These pics are very large compared to the real thing.

Anyway, I was very positively surprised by the level of detail. I'll be making more, when my work and kid allows me to.

2. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
  3. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    That is awesome mate! I'd add that to my Choas army anytime! :twisted:

4. 4832_deleted
    4832_deleted Member
    Reminds of of "hell" by the chapman brothers, which is great, but I think they are more the heatgun/gluegun type.

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    A minute ago i posted this on another FUD model and it definitely goes for this one too !

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    wOw! Absolutly stunning model, and the same goes for your painting skills!

What did you use to clean the wax residue off? I'm still trying to find a good solvent to disolve the wax out of some small models I have.

7. 83622_deleted
    83622_deleted Member
    I used something that - while removed the wax - corroded the plastic a bit. I lost the fingers to it, but other than that it just made the surface a bit grainy.
    EDIT: I lost the fingers on the model. Not my fingers.

So no, I don't have a good solution for removing residue from wax.

I believe this is the wax. I made a small hole to my mesh in order to have the wax melt out, but it was too small and the model was glossy, except where it wasn't hollow but solid. There it's quite clear.

And I agree with painting it - even spraying some fine white (or anything) paint on it will make it look much nicer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  8. stop4stuff
    Happy to hear you still have your fingers ;) but what was it you used?
    So far I have tried several different products that do get to the wax, but also attack the printed plastic which leads to a failure of a vital component of the model. In case you're wondering, the model is a very small rubiks cube with 0.1mm spacing between parts, the spindles holding everything together are just 0.5mm diameter and it is these that fail - I have 2 cubes left from the last batch of 9 to experiment with :twisted: One is currently soaking in a weak caustic soda/lye solution and another has had 4 days in an earwax remover liquid (but i think that needs a bit of heat to work properly)

9. 83622_deleted
    83622_deleted Member
    I used Fair superspray, but I can't recommend it.

Heat was the next thing in mind. So next model I get, I'll put in the oven, turn the heat up to 60 celcius and cross my fingers. Can go up to 80, before the model starts to soften.

10. gumball
    gumball Member
    Has anyone tried WD40 yet?

11. stop4stuff
    Yep, and a few other things. I've started a seperate thread in Post Production Techniques - FUD wax removal

12. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Lol, very fun concept, need some spikes! (Chaos as usual)

Ah, I was wondering why the first two pics were smoother and the third pic was a bit grainy. Hairspray. Still like you said, not bad considering it is very small.

13. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Gruesome, but amazing model. :)