Home » Community » It arrived! » 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra]
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28400] Tue, 31 May 2011 06:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar turcca  is currently offline turcca
Go to all my models
This was done for a miniature game. I took the liberty at making it the abomination it should be.

(Warhammer fantasy battle - chaos spawn)

http://imgur.com/a/oCV7t

There was a little problem when trying to remove the wax residue. When I finally found the substance that removed the wax, it corroded the platic a bit too. This was a test subject anyway. The grain is so small though, that with a naked eye you don't see it that much.
These pics are very large compared to the real thing.

Anyway, I was very positively surprised by the level of detail. I'll be making more, when my work and kid allows me to.
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28403 is a reply to message #28400 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 07:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Woah, that is quite amazing, thanks for sharing
Just posted the images on the Shapeways blog..

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/866-The-3D-Printed-FU D-Abomination-at-65mm.html

Duann Scott

Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28405 is a reply to message #28403 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 08:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
That is awesome mate! I'd add that to my Choas army anytime! Twisted Evil
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28409 is a reply to message #28405 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 08:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cloaca  is currently offline cloaca
Go to all my models
Reminds of of "hell" by the chapman brothers, which is great, but I think they are more the heatgun/gluegun type.
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28447 is a reply to message #28400 ] Tue, 31 May 2011 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A minute ago i posted this on another FUD model and it definitely goes for this one too !

Quote:

5 stars !

I'm waiting for my own batch of FUD -still puzzled why some arrived FUD models are near transparent and some aren't - in any case to really appreciate the extra fine details, a model probably needs to be sprayed with a thin layer of some nice color

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28472 is a reply to message #28400 ] Wed, 01 June 2011 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
wOw! Absolutly stunning model, and the same goes for your painting skills!

What did you use to clean the wax residue off? I'm still trying to find a good solvent to disolve the wax out of some small models I have.

Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28514 is a reply to message #28472 ] Thu, 02 June 2011 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I used something that - while removed the wax - corroded the plastic a bit. I lost the fingers to it, but other than that it just made the surface a bit grainy.
EDIT: I lost the fingers on the model. Not my fingers.

So no, I don't have a good solution for removing residue from wax.

Quote:

why some arrived FUD models are near transparent and some aren't

I believe this is the wax. I made a small hole to my mesh in order to have the wax melt out, but it was too small and the model was glossy, except where it wasn't hollow but solid. There it's quite clear.

And I agree with painting it - even spraying some fine white (or anything) paint on it will make it look much nicer.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2011 16:15 UTC]

Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28516 is a reply to message #28514 ] Thu, 02 June 2011 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Happy to hear you still have your fingers Wink but what was it you used?
So far I have tried several different products that do get to the wax, but also attack the printed plastic which leads to a failure of a vital component of the model. In case you're wondering, the model is a very small rubiks cube with 0.1mm spacing between parts, the spindles holding everything together are just 0.5mm diameter and it is these that fail - I have 2 cubes left from the last batch of 9 to experiment with Twisted Evil One is currently soaking in a weak caustic soda/lye solution and another has had 4 days in an earwax remover liquid (but i think that needs a bit of heat to work properly)
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28518 is a reply to message #28516 ] Thu, 02 June 2011 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I used Fair superspray, but I can't recommend it.

Heat was the next thing in mind. So next model I get, I'll put in the oven, turn the heat up to 60 celcius and cross my fingers. Can go up to 80, before the model starts to soften.
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28527 is a reply to message #28518 ] Thu, 02 June 2011 23:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gumball  is currently offline gumball
Go to my shop
Has anyone tried WD40 yet?
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28536 is a reply to message #28527 ] Fri, 03 June 2011 07:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
gumball wrote on Thu, 02 June 2011 23:59

Has anyone tried WD40 yet?

Yep, and a few other things. I've started a seperate thread in Post Production Techniques - FUD wax removal
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28564 is a reply to message #28536 ] Fri, 03 June 2011 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Lol, very fun concept, need some spikes! (Chaos as usual)

Ah, I was wondering why the first two pics were smoother and the third pic was a bit grainy. Hairspray. Still like you said, not bad considering it is very small.
Re: 65mm high abomination [frosted ultra] [message #28572 is a reply to message #28564 ] Fri, 03 June 2011 23:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar sFsGaming  is currently offline sFsGaming
Go to my shop
Gruesome, but amazing model. Smile

Previous Topic:Mini Ninja in 'Frosted Ultra Detail'
Next Topic:very pleased

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.