Please help: My very first model could not be printed

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 84774_deleted, May 23, 2011.

1. 84774_deleted
    84774_deleted Member
    Hello!

This is the original message I received after my order was processed then canceled:

"You've sold models that unfortunately can't be produced. Our apologies for the fact that our validation software did not catch this earlier.

The following models have been rejected:

- Final 2: Other (do not use) : remaining shell
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/260228/final_2.html
    - Shapeways Image Popper: Other (do not use) : remaining shell
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/260233/shapeways_image_popper .html"

I uploaded a black and white image carefully following the guidelines for the Shapeways Image Popper software.

I guessed that the green part was where problem was. I do not have the experience of 3-D modeling nor my own software to make changes.

This is my first time printing a 3D model and I was just trying to create a test. Customer service responded and said that I have a "loose shell" and suggested that I could remove that aspect. I have searched the forums and can't really find an answer to the "loose shell" problem. What does loose shell mean?

Without removing the green line entirely, how can I fix this problem with my limited resources? How can I fix this model using the shapeways image popper?

Would it help if I kept a larger border/ base around the edges?

Thank you kindly for your time,

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    It looks as if image popper made the bottom bar a separate entity. I'll see if we can get a solution.

3. 84774_deleted
    84774_deleted Member
    Thank You, I'll stayed tuned.

4. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    You are using the base in the Image Popper, so that should tie all the separate parts together into one solid piece. Looking at both of your models, they look like they should work, as far as I can tell.

Can you attach your black-and-white image for us to take a look at? Maybe that will help me figure out what's wrong.

-Ben

5. 84774_deleted
    84774_deleted Member
    Sure thing, here we are. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

6. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    I think I know what's wrong. These are indeed two shells, there is a gap but the gap is 0, it is as if the line is resting on top of the base. I think that might be what the system is picking up.

Let me find your order in the backend, and put it through again. For the longer term, we'll have to make some changes to the program that "sinks" the image into the base by a little bit so there's absolutely no gap.

7. 84774_deleted
    84774_deleted Member
    Interesting... thank you for figuring that out. Should I expect the model to print this time?

Thanks again