Is there a max wall thickness for ceramic

Discussion in 'Materials' started by LincolnK, May 16, 2011.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Can anyone officially verify if there is a max wall thickness, and if so, what that is?

I was designing a solid figure to test out the material, and I would hate to keep putting a lot of work on it if it will be too thick to use for ceramics.

Thanks,

Lincoln

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Blog post comment mentioned 15mm. Material page says nothing yet.

3. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I saw the blog post, that was why I asked here about something official.

Before that blog post, I had seen nothing on this being a potential issue.

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi,

We will update the design rules as we learn more,

For now 15mm is maximum thickness.

Cheers

5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to make some solid sculptures, but I guess this isn't going to work.

I'll keep an eye out to find out if anything changes.

Lincoln

6. I think this is pretty typical of ceramic creation processes, am I right?

Generally once ceramic gets more than 1/2 of an inch thick, the firing gets tricky and there's the chance of uneven baking causing cracks or "rapid disassembly" (aka explosion) of the product.

Even the stuff you think of as "solid" (think toilet) are typically hollow on the inside, with walls about 10-15mm thick.

7. Vandil
    Vandil Member
    [​IMG]

You would typically sink a lot of tooth pick holes into the reverse side of a thick object like that before it dries. That way it won't crack in the kiln. Not possible on a toilet but easily done for a thick decorative planter bottom.

8. Ah, that makes sense. You could probably recreate that by placing a series of small cylindrical or square holes in your model. If you space them nice and even, it would even bring all the "wall thicknesses" down, making it printable under the current rules parhaps?

I love euphemisms. I saw a recall notice for one of those "single cup" coffee brewers. One of the issues: "Device may suddenly come apart". Translation: "The pipe leading out of the boiler melts sometimes, and the whole thing violently explodes the next time you turn it on."

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. 86990_deleted
    86990_deleted Member
    is there a minimum thickness?

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member