Home » Community » It arrived! » Polyhedra Building Tiles
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Polyhedra Building Tiles [message #27548] Sun, 15 May 2011 05:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Robotguy  is currently offline Robotguy
Go to my shop
Well, it took a bit longer than expected, but it was worth the wait!

Here's 3 of the 4 tiles I ordered in TD (I have misplaced the triangle tile already):
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_actual_tiles.jpg

The detail is OK, but I think the tiny nubs intended to lock the hinges were too small for the resolution of the TD. I may make a few modifications, make the nubs and dimples larger, add some clearance for the pins, and reprint in FUD.

I used these master parts to make two molds from "Platinum Silicone":
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_molds.jpg

I mix up only 40 ml of urethane to fill both molds. Here's a few squares and triangles waiting for some cleanup sanding right out of the mold:
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_waiting.jpg

And last but certainly not least, here's my first polyhedron, with 12 pentagons and 20 hexagons, a truncated icosahedron:
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_trunc_ico_build.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2011 16:29 UTC]

Re: Polyhedra Tiles [message #27559 is a reply to message #27548 ] Sun, 15 May 2011 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Very very impressive. I was waiting for the result, and I am not disappointed at all.
Congrats.
Now I am curious to see what kind of puzzles you plan to do from this great material...

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Polyhedra Tiles [message #27572 is a reply to message #27559 ] Sun, 15 May 2011 16:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks! The end goal is 3D crossword puzzles on the surface of a polyhedron, like this:
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_trunc_ico_puz.png

You can see all 12 words in this video

The idea is that you would get a set of tiles and a list of crossword clues, then would have to build the crossword puzzle as you solved the clues. The really difficult puzzles may not even reveal location of the words, e.g. word 1 may not be anywhere near word 2.

I have 142 sets of 12 5-letter words that mesh on the surface of a truncated icosahedron. I plan to use a stencil cutter to make letter/number stickers to fit in the inset on each tile. Eventually I plan to have word sets for most of the Archimedean solids. Some may not work out as well, for instance the truncated tetrahedron would only have 4 different 3-letter words.

I think I am going to build a rhombicosidodecahedron, so I'll need to cast the molds 5 more times to get to the 30 squares I need.
Re: Polyhedra Tiles [message #27573 is a reply to message #27572 ] Sun, 15 May 2011 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Very interesting!

I did something similar (but different since the letters were already there but mixed) for an octahedron: see the 4-letters words D6. I initially wanted to do more of them with other regular polyhedra, but I did not have the opportunity to do so...

I also do this kind of game - but with numbers - when I number my dice. For instance on this D18 the sum of all the numbers around a round area is 57.
I plan to make the Shapeways community play with me to this game with me very soon...

So your tiles open a lot of possibilities (letters but perhaps also numbers). I hope you will have fun trying the other shapes!

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Polyhedra Tiles [message #27625 is a reply to message #27573 ] Mon, 16 May 2011 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Magic wrote on Sun, 15 May 2011 16:45

I did something similar (but different since the letters were already there but mixed) for an octahedron: see the 4-letters words D6.

That's a really neat idea!

I spent quite a while this weekend casting parts and sanding (both the tiles and my fingertips. Whoops!). Here's a moderately lousy pic of the results (I didn't have my good camera available):
http://robotguy.net/puzzles/tn_polyhedra.jpg

Here we have a truncated icosahedron, rhombicosidodecahedron, dodecahedron, icosahedron and a truncated tetrahedron.
Re: Polyhedra Building Tiles [message #27696 is a reply to message #27548 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Neat. RobotGuy what did you make a mould and cast with?

Any tips on that process?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Polyhedra Building Tiles [message #27724 is a reply to message #27696 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Tue, 17 May 2011 17:07

RobotGuy what did you make a mould and cast with?

Any tips on that process?

I made the molds with "Platinum Silicone" from Tap Plastics, and just followed their example video for making a mold box, except I used Legos to build the walls.

I cast the parts using "Quik-Cast." It has a de-mold time of around 15 minutes, but at that rate I had to let them finish curing on a flat surface because they were still rather soft.
Re: Polyhedra Building Tiles [message #27733 is a reply to message #27724 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Excellent, thanks for the info.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Polyhedra Building Tiles [message #27735 is a reply to message #27733 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 22:39 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Tue, 17 May 2011 22:27

Excellent, thanks for the info.

No problem.

Just as a data point, the resolution is high enough that I have been able to reproduce fingerprints on a smooth master using this type of silicone mold process. That means I can clean a piece of smooth steel, make a fingerprint on it, use it to make a silicone mold and then cast some urethane parts with fingerprints on them!

Previous Topic:Z scale Switcher Locomotive Shell
Next Topic:Army of FUD Part II

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.