Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » FUD test batch arrived
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD test batch arrived [message #27384] Thu, 12 May 2011 12:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
I got these just few hours ago.
ordeder them in Frosted Ultra Detail and they came out 50% awesome.
there is some sort of an printing error in them, that ends halfway to the model. One side is very smooth and transparent but the other side is quite rough and milky, also the rough side is slightly elevated , I can feel the ridge very clearly with my fingers.

the Crystalring came out better that the rest, while there are some of that milkyness on the band portion it doesn´t really matter since they are supposed to be made of different minerals Smile

CrystalRing http://shpws.me/1uMu

SkullRing http://shpws.me/1uMw

index.php?t=getfile&id=8826&private=0

The elevated area can be seen here clearly on top of the head
index.php?t=getfile&id=8827&private=0

You can see the print error as a line going along the side of the leg.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8828&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=8829&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=8830&private=0

• Attachment: skull001.JPG
    (Size: 271.82KB, Downloaded 677 time(s))

• Attachment: skull002.JPG
    (Size: 332.68KB, Downloaded 678 time(s))

• Attachment: lizard001.JPG
    (Size: 288.17KB, Downloaded 660 time(s))

• Attachment: crystal001.JPG
    (Size: 314.30KB, Downloaded 664 time(s))

• Attachment: crystal002.JPG
    (Size: 355.21KB, Downloaded 671 time(s))

Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27385 is a reply to message #27384 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Hmm this is the second set I've seen with half the print coming out odd. Seeing the transition isn't straight (like the printer was printing good, then started printing bad) It looks to me like it's from the support material.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27392 is a reply to message #27384 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hhm, not impressed so far... hopefully others have better results.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27406 is a reply to message #27384 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hopefully they get the process working propely soon cause the smoothness of the surface is amazing, I´ve dropped the skullring few times cos its so slippy Laughing
And the clarity of the material is way better than of transparent detail, just the thing I´ve been waiting for an old project of mine.
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27412 is a reply to message #27406 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 18:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Good to hear, thank you for the pics as well!
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27416 is a reply to message #27412 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spongeinside  is currently offline Spongeinside
Go to my shop
I've ordered some stuff in FUD too.. hope it comes out without these faults I've been reading about a lot lately...

The cristal ring looks awesome btw Cool

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27419 is a reply to message #27384 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
FUD looks Good!

Still waiting on mine... I did get a sneaky-peak preview piccy of one model earlier, but as yet, no go ahead for showing the pics Sad

You say the 'error' has a millky look?
The support material for FUD is a white wax... perhaps it didn't all run off in the finishing oven. If I had my models arrive with the same, I'd run a lighter flame across the surface to see if it makes a difference like with coloured sandstone.

Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27420 is a reply to message #27384 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 19:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The print error area is as hard as the smooth area, so it clearly is not just some exess wax. perhaps the support material somehow got fused with the build material since the lowrez side is about 0,05 thicker (you can see it in the pic)

I did remove some of the remaining wax inside the skullring with hot tap water, it softened the wax nicely.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2011 19:59 UTC]

Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27456 is a reply to message #27420 ] Fri, 13 May 2011 12:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Erno,

I have made an official complaint for this ( I will PM you the complaintnumber). As soon as we have determined what could be the cause of this we will offer you a proper solution. If we decided to re-print this model you will be informed by email about all the production updates.

Once again sorry for all the inconvenience.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Cheers, Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27457 is a reply to message #27384 ] Fri, 13 May 2011 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Smile

Hopefully these are just few freak accidents, since this material shows much promise.
Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27689 is a reply to message #27384 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 15:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
More photos!
Just got the lizard painted. the grey primer really brings out the details.

incase anyone is wondering about those strange vertical slits on his back. He is a desert dwelling lizard roughly the size of a van and those slits are cavities where the cool morning air is directed and the moisture condences to water. There are lots of skin folds inside to increace the surface area. Very Happy

There is a beetle that uses similar technique, but it uses the small hairs on it´s back for the same effect Cool

index.php?t=getfile&id=8893&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=8894&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=8895&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2011 19:17 UTC]

Re: FUD test batch arrived [message #27706 is a reply to message #27689 ] Tue, 17 May 2011 18:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
Really useful photos to see it with the grey primer on Smile looks like it holds up well!

Previous Topic:Maori Bone "Carving"
Next Topic:FUD / FD Lego Fantasy Helmet

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.