FUD material

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Jettuh, May 10, 2011.

1. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Please all show your pics here and a small review of the material.

Just a pic of my,, no review today (i've been drinking ;) )

IMG_20110509_193517.jpg
    Model of an unknown train,,, i orderd some models,, but this one is was an accident by shapeways ;)
    it's 1:160 and printed in Detail

IMG_20110506_172539.jpg
    Models that came in! (all detail except some of the small stuff)

Next pictures hopefully in 2weeks,, there are about 3 orders of mine waiting to be printed in Ultra :D

ps. the detail stuff is nice,, smooth,, not all details i made were there...but i'm sure the Ultra stuff will have them all

2. FredrikB
    FredrikB Member
    I know where your "unknown" train was supposed to go. :)

Got an e-mail from Maartje at Shapeways yesterday evening which hinted to me that orders had been mixed up. I sent her a heads-up but haven't heard anything back yet.

Glad to see the model came out OK though. ;)

Cheers,

Fredrik

3. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Haha, so its yours?

Well i allready can tell you the details are visible, but next time make a little bigger gap between the door and the body! It is visible that there is a door.. but just barely, when you airbrush it,, i think you wont see that gap!
    But its a nice model,, even the stripes on the side are visible.. at first i thought it wasnt meant to have stripes and just had to sand it haha :rolleyes: :D

The roof wasnt really smooth.. but after some warm water to remove the last bit of wax.. and then sanded it in 10sec it was perfectly smooth!

4. FredrikB
    FredrikB Member
    Yes. The prototype is a Swedish X11 commuter/regional train. The model is still incomplete, in particular on the roof, but I wanted to see if FD/FUD would make it worthwile to continue working on it.

Apparently there's been a partial mixup of our orders and so far confusion has only increased. I'll have another go at sorting this out with SW support later today.

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of "experience exchange" that I want to get from this forum. Airbrushing is a skill that I have yet to acquire. The grooves around the doors are 0.15 mm (or possibly 0.20 mm) wide.

The stripes is one of the areas where I hope that FD/FUD will be better than WD. Judging from the picture, they came out well. Each stripe is 0.17 mm wide IIRC.

5. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    0.15mm should be OK for door outlines. I do a lot of photo-etched brass coaches in various scale and they all have door outlines of a nominal 0.12 mm.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Even though there's been a mix up, this is all good stuff!

FredrikB & Jettuh, the door outlines are impressed (sunk into) the surface? I'm modelling for FUD with 0.1mm embossed (raised) features... do you have anything like that on your models to compare to?

Cheers,
    Paul

7. FredrikB
    FredrikB Member
    Hi Paul,

The door outlines are designed to be 0.2 mm wide (I checked) and 0.15 mm deep. Making them a little bit deeper might make them more visible even after painting, but that's just me guessing.

The ridges on the sides below the windows are 0.17 mm wide and that's also the width of the space between them. They are embossed by 0.15 mm.

There are currently no features smaller than 0.15 mm on this model.

Best regards,

Fredrik

8. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    yes, with etched stuff it's no problem, but with stuff you can better have some bigger gaps!

on my normal trains (WSF) i use these gaps,, some bigger then in real life, but in my opinion it's nice to see the gaps really good:

[​IMG]

On this photo you can see the ultra material in the middle, as you can see it's more transparent and smoother then the detail (left) and the wsf (right)
    IMG_20110506_174028.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  9. stop4stuff
    Thanks for the info Fredrik, I'm aiming for smaller details that those, I'll order and be sure to share my experience.

@Jettuh - me likes the look of the clear FUD - I've got models in production that rely upon the transparency coupled with the white wax support material.

Thanks guys, a great insight for those of us still waiting.

10. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Here are some new pictures!

Both printed in Ultra!
    The passenger train is made in 1:160
    and the diesel locomotive is made in 1:120

Both trains have a thin coat of primer on it.. this way you see the details better!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. FredrikB
    FredrikB Member
    Very nice! As far as I can tell, there are no visible signs of warping. How thick did you make the walls of the passenger train?

12. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    No warping at all!

I used a wallthickness of 0.87mm thick!
    other model with 0.85mm thickness worked as well without warping.

13. stop4stuff
    They look reall good!

What kind of detail size do you have on them?

14. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Thanx stop4stuff!

Well i try to put on as much details as possible, and then just wait and see wich got printed and wich didn't!

[​IMG]
    Another model in 1:160!

15. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    That's pretty sick for wall thickness on such a large/long piece!

One question, the diesel seems to have a texture on the side in some places while the passenger cars do not. Is that by design or print process?

16. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    Last week a few FUD models came in :)

These cubes have a 0.5mm! wall thickness :)
    FUD_2_cubes_1.JPG
    -
    FUD_paper_plane_1.JPG
    -
    FUD_the_cube_1.JPG
    -
    FUD_W_1.JPG

There's still a model in production and should arrive soon hopefully =D

17. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    RogersX,

its indeed the material!

The passenger trains walls where smooth
    [​IMG]

Haven't got a picture of the diesel before the primer, but that model wasn't as smooth as the passenger train!

Spongeinside,
    and? do you like the material? :D

18. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    Yeah.. the detail is awesome!

19. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    'Corse your trains will need couplings, though the screw links still need a little work :(

Couplings-1200.png

20. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Looks great BillBedford!