Shapeways site update of 2011-05-04 and 2011-05-05

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by barrys, May 5, 2011.

1. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hi all,

we had a few site updates the last few days. To summarize:

Updated the model process chain:
    - we sometimes saw that close to 1M polygon models didnt made it through the upload chain simply because we had a too hard restriction (for example the famous exit code 17 calculation failed error) on the available memory and time for those processes, so we increased these a bit.
    - A new meshmedic version that fixes some color loss occurences during some rare mesh manipulations (e.g. orientable making)
    - Crash if collada lines geometry with declarations processed first. Problem was that nodes defined in a unsupported geometry (lines) and reused in a - supported geometry were getting discarded. This has been fixed by sidepocketing the def'ed data.
    - Conversion does not handle Collada polygon with hole primitive. Collada polygons with hole is an unsupported geometry and is now handled gracefully with exit code 10, instead of just crashing.
    - Occasional java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError with viewer on Win Vista. jogl.dll was not getting released properly so the jvm would try to load it again, causing an "jogl.dll already loaded in another classloader" error.

Add opengraph tags to header to help facebook index our pages better

Add markup tool on product inventory page
    With this javascript popup, users can change their markup for all models for a certain material at once. They can either enter a static number or a percentage of the original price. Also it's possible to add or remove a certain material to the restricted materials list for all models.

Some bugfixes:
    - Exclude shortenurl for hidden models
    - Fixed video icon not appearing on model thumbnails.
    - Removed sharethis bars and associated javascript and replaced them, when appropriate, with tweet and like buttons.
    - Remove debug code from upload errormails

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Awesome! Thanks!

Now we need more emoticons to express our happiness :laughing:

3. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Maybe I'm blind but where's this new box?
    Woody64

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Reverted this one for now as it slowed large shops too much down, that they couldnt use the markup inventory page properly

@Woody64, assuming you referred to this one?

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hi barrys,

Is it possible to simply add a small "Add to all" link at the bottom of the design page near the markup input ?

This way i can set up one markup for all materials..

I have over 280 designs.. this would solve going back and forth to that inventory page.

(BTW, FireFox 4.0 doesn't get stuck on me like IE.. and loads the inventory page OK on my Quad-core PC with occasionally 1-2 total PC freeze of about 2-3 seconds)

6. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hey! Though the "markup by material" feature was taken down, if you go to my personal page at https://nliang.com/shapeways/markupmachine.html you can still add it as a bookmarklet. Then go to the product inventory page and click on the bookmarklet. The features are the same, without the additional slowness.

Add all is interesting Dizingof. I am currently busy with some very exciting launches over the next few weeks, but I'll keep that in mind and see if I can squeeze it into my schedule.

Note: the above bookmarklet is not officially released by Shapeways, but by a very newb developer (ie me) who wants to help out the Shapeways community. Also only tested in Chrome & Firefox.

7. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    ... sigh, couldn't help myself: https://nliang.com/shapeways/markupmachine.html

Reload that page. Added an "Add to all materials" option :D

But that takes a few extra seconds to calculate.. I imagine it'll be longer with your big inventory of models. Let me know if it works?

(also.. I updated this after a few beers, so uh.. yeah)

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    "Good busy" ;)

Perhaps you could whip up something similar for the model pages?
    Set markup for all materials when on model page? (haven't look under the hood, so might not be as easy)

Btw no such thing as a "real developer", you either develop or not ;)
    So already a "junior developer", we all start somewhere.

Anyway, nicely done!

Cheers!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Barry,

still got the email:
    "Unfortunately, we were not able to process and thus print your product. The error message was:
    Calculation failed. This means that our Mesh Medic could not fix or merge your design. "

was just a 550.000 model :p

(in the end it worked... exporting in different extention)

ps. Nancy,, nice picture of the Zipper Tshirt @ your website :eek: :D

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hey Nancy

Bookmarklet doesn't work anymore - you need to click manually on
    each model's "To all" link for the changes to be saved...

Any chance you can fix that?

Thanks

11. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Have you gotten it to completely save before? There is one guy who said they've gotten the fields to fill out, but not to save. Just wanted to see if that was a one off.

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    of course, once the bookmarklet fills all fields with a markup for all materials i click the Save button but it doesn't save the changes.

only if i click on each model's "To all" link and then hit the save button - only then markup for that model is saved.