Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Photo printing in 3D
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Photo printing in 3D [message #2058] Fri, 21 November 2008 13:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Now a days you can print your photos in great quality on your own desktop printer at home, order them as a fully printed and bounded photo album or have them printed in any size on canvas to hang on your wall.

So how cool would it actually be if you could get your photo printed in 3d to put on your desk, hang on your wall or in front of your window…?

Like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=166&private=0

Or with color info in it?

What do you think... ?
Let me know, Peter Paul

[Updated on: Wed, 16 December 2009 14:59 UTC]

Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2309 is a reply to message #2058 ] Mon, 22 December 2008 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bmud  is currently offline Bmud
Go to all my models
Not very, because no algorithm would do a very good job.
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2311 is a reply to message #2309 ] Mon, 22 December 2008 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
That looks like ZSurf4 Razz

Is it?...

(Yes its quite cool and I was about to upload a model last night like that).

Edit : But as the previous poster said, its mainly going to be contours and depending on the photo the outcome may not be 'optimal'. If the conversion is done at Shapeways side, the current preview doesn't really show the details and customers may be disappointed at the result.... [Just my thoughts].

But for those of us who are willing to try, tweak and photoshop the photo before hand to get a better result... its cool Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 22 December 2008 21:04 UTC]

Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2359 is a reply to message #2058 ] Mon, 05 January 2009 16:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the tip on Zsurf4. No it's not. It works very nice but I believe the UI requires quite some know how.

Would indeed help to have some more visual feedback.

Do you (anyone else) have some more experience with Zsurf4 or other applications that do the same?

Cheers Peter Paul

Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2648 is a reply to message #2058 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 12:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have used Zsurf4 and other similar programs, while the resultant 3d landscapes can look impressive, I didn't quite like the effect on people/portraits.

There are a few other programs that reconstruct '3D' from photos taken at slightly different angles, I can't remember the name but those could do better with human faces...

Is this a Shapeways project? Smile
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2655 is a reply to message #2058 ] Sun, 25 January 2009 19:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Would you think it being worth to turn into a project Wink

I have looked around also and found different kinds of software. Although many of them have their pro's and con's in general I think the outcome is surprisingly nice.
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #2705 is a reply to message #2655 ] Tue, 27 January 2009 11:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If released as a 'creator' it'll increase your appeal to users who simply want a quick 3D print of their loved ones without learning the ropes of 3D software.

Yes Shapeways allows people to order other people's models, but alot of the fun is getting something 'personal'.

If you can improve on the interface, and in the area of 'customization' of the contour parameters...yes it'll be neat Smile

PS : Thanks for the photos Smile
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #7082 is a reply to message #2058 ] Mon, 05 October 2009 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
Now what would be NICE would be the ability to pump a photo through this process and then download the resulting STL file for manipulation in our 3D Programs...

any chance?

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #7095 is a reply to message #2058 ] Tue, 06 October 2009 07:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi,

Now that's an idea worth looking into.
I'll see what needs to be done and how this would fit our service

Thanks for the idea
Cheers Peter Paul

Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #7919 is a reply to message #2058 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 04:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
don't you already do that? How would it be different than youir photoshaper?
Re: Photo printing in 3D [message #7923 is a reply to message #2058 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 08:16 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Well we do only part of the process.
The STL's coming from the Photoshaper aren't downloadable

[Updated on: Fri, 27 November 2009 08:16 UTC]

Previous Topic:New Site Look
Next Topic:model listing randomly changing to 'not for sale'

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.