Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Original Train & Rail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Original Train & Rail [message #26741] Fri, 29 April 2011 16:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
I write under my second username (my other is... fx2 -what a surprise!-).Since the beginning of the Shapeways private beta launch in mid 2008, I printed railway stuff using Shapeways. Until now, it was only for myself.

Since we can't open a second shop under the same username, I used my "old" username. After several attempts where several javascripts errors were thrown -the same kind of errors that led me in the past to create my second account !-, I was able to open it! Smile

I create some original railway scale accessories that aren't made by any manufacturer I'm aware of. I will testprint them in the new material as soon I hit the $25 min. order. they have some fine features, but I think the parts should look nice once printed, or at least be recognisable... I already printed parts in the past* with this technology.
I'm really wondering if Shapeways can be a suitable platform to sell this kind of very specialized scenery accessories or if I need to use a well-known online auction site to sell repackaged items... Future will tell.

*Shapeways didn't existed then, or maybe as top-secret early alpha under another name...

Shapeways shop first page seems to be well indexed by Google. However that's apparently not the case with the product pages.That's why I try the following below.

---Please don't mind, gg indexing experiment below---
H0 1:87 hydrant / borne d'incendie à l'échelle 1/87ème HO

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2011 16:06 UTC]

Re: Original Train & Rail [message #26758 is a reply to message #26741 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 21:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi fx, glad to hear the shop setup process finally worked out for you. I took a look at your designs, I'd imagine accessories like those might be quite a hit with model train lovers.

Since this is more about your shop, and not so much about a particular model, I'm going to move this thread over to the Shop section of the forums. Wink

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Original Train & Rail [message #26764 is a reply to message #26741 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 22:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
fx:

I'm glad you were able to open your shop. We have (just today) deployed some improvements to the javascript that was a frequent cause of problems, and we've also reorganized the process with our new My Shapeways section of the site.

We'd be happy to hear your feedback on this site update; we're hoping it's a helpful improvement for our community members like you!

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Original Train & Rail [message #26810 is a reply to message #26764 ] Sun, 01 May 2011 13:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
@horst: This update is a good step. I think some functions, for instance the Shop sales, are now much less hidden.
I can't give you any feedbacks about the new javascript because I have no plan to open a third shop... Laughing
Some ideas (although I'm sure other users have already given similar ideas):
I'm wondering if a fast bulk upload (x STL's in one zip file) method is in your pipeline. I would like to upload all the parts at once, and care later about writing descriptions and titles...
I think (independently of the uploading method) all uploaded parts should be "hidden" by default (the user should actively choose to make them visible to all).

A quick way to select and set some or all shop items to "not for sale" or "hidden" is needed. I can feel the trouble for a shop owner who has 200 items for sale...

A user feedback/new feature voting system is planned, if I'm right ? This could be the best method for you to know what your users/shop owners need the most. Of course this is a bit of a double edged sword as it could provide ideas to competitors, too...

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2011 13:29 UTC]

Re: Original Train & Rail [message #26944 is a reply to message #26741 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horstnyc  is currently offline horstnyc
Go to my shop
fx:

We're working on streamlining the upload process this week. The first phase will be to simplify the existing upload page, and then we'll shift next week to work on multi-file uploading. (Plus or minus some time to work on other things that may arise.)

I've received similar feedback from other power users about multi-uploading, so that's clearly a current pain point, and why I'm addressing it now.

Setting a model's state to Hidden is going to get a better UI in the ongoing work, and when you use the multi-upload feature, you'll be able to set this property for the whole batch in one click.

I do have a user feature voting mechanism in the roadmap, but it's far down the line. I don't expect it to happen for many months, if even this year! The forum is my interim solution. Smile

Thanks for the input.

-Ben
Re: Original Train & Rail [message #26947 is a reply to message #26944 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 16:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
Apologies, that was me posting the above response from a test account.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead

Previous Topic:A Default Material
Next Topic:Improvement voting system

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.