How many are online?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magic, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

I've seen that now the homepage is displaying the number of visitors and members online.
    For example, currently:
    I checked several times and it seems that the proportion between members and visitors is always - and rather acurately - around 10%.
    Funny fact, isn't it?

Anyways, it is a very interesting information. Thank you Shapeways for adding it!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I saw this last week, I haven't been on much lately so I figured I either missed the update or just didn't notice it till now :p

3. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @Magic, I noticed that too. Strange, isn't it?

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @magic Thanks for pointing this out ! miss it too

5. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    you mean it is pretty accurately 1:10 ratio as 37/(37+368)=9%

yes it does always seem to be 10:1

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Who knows... Perhaps Visitors include Members...
    :)

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Maybe each member counts as 10 visitors :laughing:

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    It seems that the number of visitors and members who are online has disappeared as quietly as it had appeared....

9. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    maybe the function did not work. Though it is pretty easy to implement.

Use a keep alive ajax call every 30 seconds to say you are still online. Server just needs to keep a database of the last 1 minutes worth of ajax calls, remove duplicates by ip and check session data for who is loged on. You can then use the return call on that same ajax function to keep the number up to date.

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hmm, that's odd. Let's see if we can bring it over to the Community homepage (the site homepage wasn't such a good spot for it, I guess).

Bart

11. Youknowwho4eva
    I never look at the community home page, always go straight to forum or blog. But I don't really need to know how many people are on. I can moderate as many as it takes :p

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    lol

13. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    I wasn't happy with it, so I took it down for now. I'll think about ways to make it more interesting or bring it to a different part of the site at some point.

-Ben

14. how cool is that...........