Yippie! I ordered some of the new material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LincolnK, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I was so excited to hear about the high detail material that I immediately started modelling something for it.

4 (10 hour) days later, I am finally finished, and have uploaded and ordered them.

Thus begins the slowest 10 (business days?) of my life. ;)

Lincoln

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hey Lincoln how are you doing?

I expect it's going to be a long wait for many of us, and I bet Shapeways staff are inundated with models to check after a long holiday weekend ;)

Paul

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    My order is now in production :D but, anyways, whatever amount of time it would take, it will always take too long... :twisted:

But I did not order something specially designed for Frosted Detail, unfortunately (not enough time to make a new model).
    Instead, I ordered this die that was initially designed for Silver in both Frosted Detail materials. I want to be able to compare the results.

And now I am working on a new die with moving gear, this time specially designed with Frosted Detail in mind...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. stop4stuff
  5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Ah, yes: it's time to break new records... :)

6. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Hi Paul,

I have been very busy making things using laser cutters, vinyl cutters, and other high-tech equipment at a place where I was working as an instructor to teach other people how to use those machines.

It kept my urge to make things fulfilled while waiting for Shapeways to finally offer a material that would have the detail and finish I need for making a mold and casting multiples myself.

Thanks for asking.

Magic, that die looks really cool.

Lincoln

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yep, I put in an order for four models in the new materials as soon as they became available. I think there is going to be a long wait!

Glenn

8. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I can empathize with you guys on the waiting. Still, glad to see the immediate demand for FUD!

9. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Ana,

Some kind of ultra detail material and Stainless Steel are the 2 main things I have been wanting to 3-D print in for a long time. When I finally realized that you guys existed, I made some stuff in steel as soon as I could figure out how to get a model to pass all the requirements.

If the FUD is as good as I am hoping, I will be making a bunch of stuff for it. I just hope it comes back soon enough that I can find out and still have time to submit some more models before the trial time runs out.

Lincoln

10. stop4stuff
    handy tip... release the next new material after a holiday weekend, or on a monday :)

i put my 2nd order in today :cool:

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I too am now counting the days.. I actually had the luxury of time to re-design a couple of models for Frosted Ultra Detail, and can't wait to see how well the thinner walls work.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough time to complete more than one model in FUD as we're working on a largish t-shirt order. :(

I do hope they keep it!!! SW's examples look very promising!

13. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
  14. stop4stuff
    I done a little write up on my blog about the models I've ordered... some of them are very small with very small clreances, it should be very interesting to see how they turn out.

15. stonysmith
    The word "Frosted" is very important here. The items are NOT "clear" as in "see-thru" The exterior surface is actually "Frosted".

I've got some pictures here comparing FUD to WD:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/stonysmith/ShapewaysUltraSmooth #
    I would post them here, but Picasa allows you to zoom in to the full resolution of the images.. lint and all. One note: the items here were designed for WD/BD/TD.. and have not yet been re-designed for the new thinner wall options. The trucks pictured are approx 2cm long, 1cm wide. TINY stuff.

As shipped, FUD could not be used for lenses, etc. I have not yet had the opportunity to see if the surface can be altered to make it completely transparent or not. (I sent all these items off to my painter friend)

I have a suspicion that if you apply a thin coat of liquid glue to the surface, you may be able to get it to be "almost" see-thru, but due to the nature of the process, I still expect the internal index of refraction is going to change from one layer to the next, causing a scattering of light, keeping it from ever being truly "clear".

As you can see in the pics, the old WD/TD material was always a bit yellowish... this new material is much closer to truly colorless.

16. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
  17. stop4stuff
    Thanks for the info stonysmith, if its just the exterior surface that's frosted then that is no different to the regular transparent detail. TD need sanding back and then polishing to give good transparency with a smooth surface. If FUD is the same then no problem... I might even have a go at flame polishing as there shouldn't be any uncured polymer on the surface.

18. stonysmith
    That's kinda funny.. the picture on the right of the materials page IS one of my pictures :p

!!!Such an honor to have made it to the materials page!!!

19. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I'm definitely making sure Nancy sees this thread ;)

20. KoalaCreek
    KoalaCreek Member
    Hi,
    I ordered all items yuo can see in my shop in FUD. It should allow me to create the following HOn30 scale items (based on an existing chassis ...).

A small 13 ton Shay locomotive

[​IMG]

A wholestick sugar cane truck

[​IMG]

The models shown above were printed a different service provider, but I hope that FUD will be as good ... or even better!

Cheers,

Jeroen

PS: If you want to see more of my modelling, just check my site.