Home » Support » 3D Design » Making a boat with a stand
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Making a boat with a stand [message #2027] Tue, 18 November 2008 02:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar Smaulio  is currently offline Smaulio
Go to all my models
Hi all -

I'm preparing to export my first model for a Shapeways print. It's a boat, and because it has a rounded bottom I'm considering making a stand for it to sit upon.

I'm planning on making the boat hull hollow, with a hole at the bottom for the material to come out of. The idea I had was to make a sort of tripod stand, with a single tip that comes up and fits into the hole -- then the boat could sit on the tip, which would plug into the hole and hold it steady.

I have a couple of questions about this -- first, should the stand be a separate model that I export and print separately, or can I just build them as part of the same model, although the two parts won't be attached?

The other question is, how big does the hole in the bottom of the hull have to be in order for the material to be able to be cleared out?

If anyone's tried something similar, or if there are examples out there that are similar, I'd love to see them.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

Re: Making a boat with a stand [message #2032 is a reply to message #2027 ] Tue, 18 November 2008 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi Smaulio,

You can combine separate objects into one model if you want, no problem.

About the hole size: which material are you planning to use?

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Making a boat with a stand [message #2036 is a reply to message #2032 ] Tue, 18 November 2008 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Smaulio  is currently offline Smaulio
Go to all my models
Thanks for the info!

I haven't decided on a material. I want the model to be fairly detailed and durable, and not too brittle. By detailed, I mean mostly surface detail (small bumps and ridges -- I understand that the thickness of protruding details shouldn't fall below 1mm. And I'm not planning on painting it.

Do you have a suggestion for material?

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Making a boat with a stand [message #2040 is a reply to message #2036 ] Wed, 19 November 2008 00:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hey Smaulio,

the best material for your project is White Strong and Flexible. It allows high details, is durable and allows for remarkable details.

The hole in the bottom needs to be 1 cm2 or so.
Could be 0.5 x 2 or 1x1.

Peter

Previous Topic:Support Material
Next Topic:"living hinges"

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.