Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Developers » Shapeways API » Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested [message #26200] Tue, 19 April 2011 09:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar hans.lambermont  is currently offline hans.lambermont
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi all,

Lots (all?) of you want to get the model_id reported when you upload a model.
Currently the API returns the string "successful".

Which new format would you prefer :

or

"successful, model_id=12345"

or something more XML-like ?

I personally prefer the "successful, model_id=12345" string as that is simple and leaves room for extensions.

If we change the return value would this break your existing clients ?
If it does we have to move the model_id return feature to a new v2 API so that you can still use the unchanged v1 API.

-- Hans
Re: Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested [message #26210 is a reply to message #26200 ] Tue, 19 April 2011 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
coma delimited is fine for me but leave out the space so i can use explode without trimming.

for hidden objects the hidden hash is needed also. ideally the hash could be found in 2 ways.

1) returned with success string
2) an extra function such as findURL($objectName or $objectID) or findHash either will work and id is better if you are returning the id with success.

as for braking code it will not break mine because i assume any response other then fail is a pass. and no response or fail is a fail. so far i get no response more often then not.

while we are at it can you possible return volume also so i can check if you calculated differently then me? or better yet make a library we can run locally to check the model before uploading?

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2011 15:07 UTC]

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested [message #26329 is a reply to message #26210 ] Thu, 21 April 2011 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar meshmixer  is currently offline meshmixer
Go to all my models
wouldn't break anything for meshmixer, I ignore the return value...
Re: Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested [message #26615 is a reply to message #26200 ] Wed, 27 April 2011 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
As I mentioned in another thread, we do allow you to retrieve a model ID for a public (not private) model; take a look at this example code:

if ($application_id == 'generated-creator') {
$returnValue = $modelEntity->id;
} else {
$returnValue = "successful";
}

So, set your application_id to be 'generated-creator', and you'll get the model ID value in return.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested [message #26622 is a reply to message #26615 ] Wed, 27 April 2011 15:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
great but when will you return the hash code for hidden objects

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/

Previous Topic:email notification
Next Topic:Trouble using SAP from perl

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.