Hinges and Axels

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by pzich, Nov 7, 2008.

1. pzich
    pzich Member
    I've heard from other articles that interlocking pieces that need to move should be 1cm apart, however for things like hinges or car axels that would be too much (for a small car), if I printed an axel, hinge or track with 1-5mm space separately would they fit together? Let me know if I didn't explain this clearly enough.

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Good news! :) I dont think it's 1 cm apart. I think you may have misread...

Someone could easily have cautioned you to make sure they were 1mm apart though. What post did you read this in?

-Whystler

3. pzich
    pzich Member
    I can't remember. I posted this because I couldn't find the ones I looked at. 1mm makes far more sense, but is this space required so it doesn't print the two parts as one or because the final result has a margin of error? e.g. if I printed two objects separately with only .5mm or even .2mm would they still fit together?

4. 10043_deleted
    10043_deleted Member
    Actually, in this thread WetMorgoth suggests
    but also suggests keeping gaps above 0.25mm.

I have to say that would be great news if the gaps can be 0.25mm, but I'm not sure if they really can be.

Hopefully someone will show us their experiments when they do them :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Perhaps if someone has time to make some small models to test this? If small enough, we could build them and add photos to the site in a tutorial.

Any takers?

regards,
    Peter

6. pzich
    pzich Member
    I'm up for building stuff. I can make a hinge parts that fit together with about 1mm of clearence, then we can try printing them together in place or separately and fitting them together. If you have other ideas or suggestions let me know.

7. pzich
    pzich Member
  8. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar Member
    As a side project im currently working on making somthing like a rollerblade wheel, so it will have bearings, axle, screws and some other close tolerances.
    Depending on how much it cost for the size i want, i will print it and get some videos demonstrating it.

9. pzich
    pzich Member
  10. 10043_deleted
    10043_deleted Member
    pzich, great work. Can you clarify the comment in the models. Is it 1mm radius or diameter clearance? In other words if the pin is dead centre in the sleeve, is there 1mm either side, or 0.5mm either side making 1mm in total?

Also the cube with varying size holes is a great idea.

If you print these, please be sure to post a video.

11. pzich
    pzich Member
    It's a good thing you asked. I was ititially designing it with 1mm clearence on all sides, but I just measured it and there is .5mm clearence.

12. pzich
    pzich Member
    I might print them but I'm not sure if it'd be better for me to or our friends at shapeways. I don't have much use for them and it would probably be at least two weeks to get them to my house.

13. pete
    Hey Peter,

thanks for uploading the models so quickly. Could you perhaps clip the 'wings' a little? If it is really small we can print it as an add on. After that I will make pictures and post them.

Actually made some nice hinges and gears pictures today.
    Will post a blog tomorrow.

regards,
    Peter

14. pzich
    pzich Member
  15. pete
    Hi Peter,

thanks. Will have them made and make some pictures.

regards,
    Peter

16. pzich
    pzich Member
  17. bartv
    bartv Member
  18. pzich
    pzich Member
    Very nice, although I think it would be interesting to see a circular hole, just to see how the pixelization factors in, since it is printing in a grid. Both would be great to know, I've got a few things in mind (engine, car, etc.) that have rotating parts, I'm hoping for very little spacing for the axes/crankshaft/hinges. Keep us posted.

19. pete
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  20. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar Member
    I was woundering about the materials friction, Would you think it be best to use a roller type bearing or ball bearings with the ST&F material?