Model not Displaying with Color?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 18614_deleted, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 18614_deleted
    18614_deleted Member
    Here is the model on which I'm working. It's based off of a previous model, which turned out to be too thin to print in Full-Color sandstone. It's uh, been a rough and bumpy ride (this was "baby's first retopology"), so I was really thrilled to see it successfully upload. The thing is, it's not showing up as color on the preview. I know I made UVs and uploaded a png with it, checking the wrl confirms it's using the png, and it uploaded without any error e-mails... But it's not showing up in color. I've marked it public-viewable and part-available for the time being, but I just want to make sure if I order it, if it'll come in color or not. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Did you check that the image filename is just the filename without any directory path?

3. 37612_deleted
    37612_deleted Member
    I've had no luck using the .wrl file format. So, I gave .x3d a go, it worked
    first time! :) (i'm using Blender).

4. robert
    robert Member
    We are investigating right now. There maybe a problem with color upload without textures.

I hope to tell you more tomorrow.

Best,

Robert

5. 18614_deleted
    18614_deleted Member
    Yeah, it's just the filename, without any directory. Like last time, I had to manually change it and convert the BMP file to a PNG, so it reads:

url "realsfinallowfiTex0.png"

(Yes, I know, I have a horrible naming convention problem.)

Heh, I'll keep it in mind, and I might try it out if I get some free time anytime soon. I'm using ZBrush, and they've got a plugin that's supposed to do well for exporting to printable formats, but hey, I was already using Blender for part of it, too.

Good to hear that you're on it. There was a texture file with it, though, but you're the guy who knows more about this stuff. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I got your model working with colour :)
    I'm not entirely sure, but it seems there may be a texture scale issue - possibly something to do with native VRML units being treated as meters...
    I opened your file in Accutrans3D, then went to 'Save with options', made sure 'UV', 'Texture Path' and 'Partial' were all ticked, then went into 'Use Units' under 'Output Scale Factor' and selected millimeters for both Export and Import - hit OK & Save - zipped up the .wrl with your original png and uploaded.

see attached file :)

Attached Files:

7. 18614_deleted
    18614_deleted Member
    Thanks, stop4stuff. I don't really understand why that works, but at least it works. I'm getting a second color uploaded, and ordering shortly, but I'm leaving the original up so as not to interfere with robert's investigation on the matter.

8. robert
    robert Member
    You can take it down if you want to. I have a copy sitting in our ticket system for the investigation.

Best,

Robert

9. 18614_deleted
    18614_deleted Member
    Sadly, it appears the model wasn't Full-Color printable. I got an e-mail saying that my hole was way too small for cleaning, so I guess I'm going to the drawing board again. This is the concept I'm going for, it's still in Sketchup so it'll have about a hundred not-two-manifold edges to fix in post, but I'm wondering if there are any obvious issues with the concept? Now that I know that the hole needs to be bigger, I'm hoping that that's big enough, I'm a little bit concerned about how well it's supported, though.

It'd be nice if we could test if a model is printable in a given material after uploading but before order.ing. :)

Attached Files: