N-Team : Big-nosed A-Team homage

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by LostInBrittany, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Hi !

I sculpt minis with a cartoon look inspired by Spanish comic book artist Cels Piñol, big nosed (narizones) characters. I sculpt both traditionally (green stuff, putty) a and digitally (Blender + 3D printing via Shapeways).

Today I've just placed an order (yet another :) ) on Shapeways, for the last two minis I've prepared in Blender. My last project is making a series of minis I've called N-Team, a version of the A-Team using my style of cartoon characters.

Here you have the sculpts for the two first heroes :

Colonel Smith (wearing his classical giant lizard disguise, as in series intro :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And B.A. Barracus, of course :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the small Shapeways parcel will arrive, I will post some photos ;)

2. Today I have reworked the two figures to make a more generic cartoon version. I think I'm going to print both of them, the big nosed ones to join my growing army of big nosed figures, and today's ones to use with Crooked Dice's 7TV miniatures game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I must begin to sculpt Murdoch and Faceman...

3. I've just completed Howling Mad Murdock, in both styles.

Big-nosed version :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cartoon version :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't received yet my precedent order with Hannibal and Barracus. When I will finish Face, I will put another order with Murdoch and him.

4. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Best of luck! I'm looking forward to seeing results.

5. Thanks, Ana!

As they are not my first minis, I have little doubt about the result, I know it will print o.k., and that most details will be kept.

My biggest doubt is about material. Until now, I had used only WSF. Minis were great, but the rough texture and detail level meant that I had to do lots post production work, and they weren't well suited for RTV moulding to get resin or lead masters usable for industrial casting.

As I want to get my some of my minis into commercial metal models, I need to try other alternatives. People tell me to try other rapid prototyping services, but before I want to see is Shapeways' White Detail material can be the solution to my problem.

So I ordered some samples of Barracus and Hannibal is both WSF and white detail. I placed my order on April 4th, but it is marked as still in production. As soon as I will receive it, and I will be able to see if white detail is better suited for me the WSF, I will put an order for the other two team members.

As today I have finished the last A-Team member, at last! Here you have Face :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now in cartoon style :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Cool, let me know how it goes.

Additionally, while I can't get into much detail at the moment, I know our materials team has been working hard on some options for upping the end quality of WSF. Hopefully in the next few weeks you'll have some good options through Shapeways, with one material or another. :)