Home » Support » 3D Printing » WSF: Oil?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF: Oil? [message #25574] Sun, 03 April 2011 13:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar richardperry  is currently offline richardperry
Go to all my models
Hi

I would like to have printed an oil candle I have designed. The candle has to hold oil (similar consistency to vegetable oil).

I would like to make it out of WSF material, however it says that this is not waterproof. My question is, would it be oil proof?

If not, then would be Alumide material be oil proof?

Thanks, Richard
Re: WSF: Oil? [message #25576 is a reply to message #25574 ] Sun, 03 April 2011 15:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
WSF is not so much 'not waterproof' but more 'porous', even though oil is less dense than water, you'd be needing to look at the viscosity of the oil and the porosity of WSF for an absolute answer (sorry if that is vague)... any-which-way, I'd not recommend WSF for a oil based candle for two reasons, firstly if the WSF soaks up oil, it may become the wick too, and secondly WSF is basically a nylon type plastic which can melt or burn. Your safest bet would be either stainless steel or glossy glass.

Alumide is the same material as WSF with added aluminium powder, so again not so suitable.

Previous Topic:What happens, if an ordered object gets rejected due to a printing error?
Next Topic:Objet Materials