Home »  » Buying » Wrong material delivery
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wrong material delivery [message #25470] Thu, 31 March 2011 02:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar Plasticdreaming  is currently offline Plasticdreaming
Go to all my models
First off let me say that i sincerely appreciate Shapeways and wish the company nothing but success. I plan on being a lifelong customer. With that said..

A moderate to large order of parts that i ordered in stainless steel were delivered but they were made of a crusty, ridged "gold like" material instead of stainless steel. After further investigation it looks as though this is the "gold matte" option that Shapeways offers which i didn't order.

Ive ordered from shapeways prior to this order and following with no problems but its was the largest and most important order that happened to run out bad Sad

I've reported this to Customer Service complete with detailed photos and while customer service admits they are unsure as to why the production error happened on their end i haven't made much headway with regard to a credit so i can reorder the parts or simply having the correct material parts shipped to me. I'm already behind schedule due to the this.

Has anyone else had a problem like this before?

Again.. i *love* what Shapeways represents and appreciate the service they offer,. I just want to have this resolved and move forward with future orders.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2011 02:32 UTC]

Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25489 is a reply to message #25470 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 13:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That's no good! lets see what I can dig up.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25502 is a reply to message #25489 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 15:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
hi,

Sorry that this took a bit longer, but I have got a feedback about your complaint. Please see the email we just sent you.

You have designed your models too small and a little bit too thin, it is very hard to polish them. Because due too the size it is nearly impossible to polish them. We can polish them, but the chance that something will break of is huge. Please keep in mind that Stainless steel has a minium wall thickness of 3mm

We have created a voucher for you in return. Please accept our humble apologies on this one.

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25513 is a reply to message #25470 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Plasticdreaming  is currently offline Plasticdreaming
Go to all my models
Thank you both for your replies and an additional thank you to Christel for her assistance as well.

A bit of clarification please as im unclear on this point: Are the stainless steel parts covered in this gold matte material to begin with and then polished removing the gold matte revealing the "polished stainless steel" appearance ? Or are there occasions when a batch of orders in stainless steel with the gold matte option are printed with steel parts without the gold option and the latter are then polished?

I'm asking as i've ordered stainless steel parts before in this size/scale both before and after this "incorrect" batch and they were received polished (thank you !) without a hint of this gold covering/ crust.

Either way...i sincerely appreciate the replies, the service, the company and the effort . Very Happy

As i said before..life long customer !

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2011 18:51 UTC]

Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25514 is a reply to message #25470 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Could the gold appearance be excess bronze in the infusion? By Ralph's message it sounds like you ordered in polished gold, but by your messages it sounds like you intended the order to just be stainless? Maybe some pictures so we can see what's going on and instruct what is polishable for others to follow by?

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25516 is a reply to message #25513 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I have a vairety of very small stainless parts that Ralph saw in person at the Newcastle Maker Faire. His explaination of the colour variation is down to a combination of the oven used and the polishing (or lack of). My parts varied between firescaled steel, firescaled with a slight polish and fresh bronze colour - all ordered and delivered in the same batch... atm, I'm not too fussed about the variation as it adds variety without any extra ordering hassle Smile
Re: Wrong material delivery [message #25529 is a reply to message #25516 ] Fri, 01 April 2011 05:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Paul is correct here:

His explaination of the colour variation is down to a combination of the oven used and the polishing (or lack of). My parts varied between firescaled steel, firescaled with a slight polish and fresh bronze colour - all ordered and delivered in the same batch

Your models were too dificult to polish, therefor they have a slightly lighter color.This is the reason behdind the color differences.

Hope this clears things up for you

Cheers, Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager

Previous Topic:Shipping to someone else - any news?
Next Topic:Setting prices for shops

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.